To all those who know Morse code - page 3

borilunad:
As I understand it, 1st row 1 character, 2nd row 2 characters etc. Characters starting with a dot on the left and characters starting with a dash on the right.

Yes, that's right. if on the left a dot is added, on the right a dash. This is the first time I've seen such a representation either, but everything is clear, even though there's no Cyrillic in the picture above. Everything works.

In fact, they've used chants like the letter G or G --. GA-GA-RIN. Or the number 7... G-G-GA-reen.

P.S. I promised to tear down the thread...But I can't, apparently because people have responded... Moderators can tear it down themselves...

moskitman:
Exactly. 'Getting to' any letter calculates its morse code along the way.

In addition, the alphabet is prefixed, i.e. in a stream of dots and dashes you can always tell where one character ends and the next begins, even though they have different lengths

moskitman:
Exactly. 'Getting to' any letter calculates its morse code along the way.
Wow, it's like a cheat sheet, checked against numbers and other characters identical to Cyrillic!

м:

Actually, we've had great success with chants like G or G--. GA-GA-RIN. Or the number 7... D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D.

I remember, in our 3rd platoon (Leningrad oblast, Osinovaya Roscha - communications battalion, now disbanded) we were taught Morse code by sergeants in a rather specific way! The chants were substituted for "civil" ones and drummed into cadet brains - blatantly obscene, in the coarsest variant - for better "digestibility"!

Needless to say, the 3rd platoon was always the first in "special training"! Because such chants were memorized in hours! For life! For example, the most decent hymn (of all the digits) was the figure "four" - pa-pa-ma-mu-TYK, instead of the civil "dai-pe-re-ku-riti"!

Chants for the rest of the digits I'm just afraid to quote here...

leonid553:

I remember, in our 3rd platoon (Leningrad oblast, Osinovaya Roscha - communications battalion, now disbanded) we were taught Morse code by sergeants using chants that were quite specific! The chants were substituted for "civil" ones and drummed into cadet brains - blatantly obscene, in the coarsest form, for better "digestibility"!

Needless to say, the 3rd platoon was always the first in "special training"! Because such chants were memorized in a few hours! For life! For example, the most decent chant (of all the digits) was "four" - pa-pa-ma-mu-tyk!, instead of the civil "dai-pe-re-curit"!

The chants for the other digits I'm just afraid to quote here...

And we used to learn (82-84 MO) four-ve-ri-ca! :)

leonid553:

I remember, in our 3rd platoon (Leningrad oblast, Osinovaya Roscha - communications battalion, now disbanded) we were taught Morse code by sergeants in a rather specific way! The chants were substituted for "civil" ones and drummed into cadet brains - blatantly obscene, in the coarsest variant - for better "digestibility"!

Needless to say, the 3rd platoon was always the first in "special training"! Because such chants were memorized in hours! For life! For example, the most decent hymn (of all the digits) was the figure "four" - pa-pa-ma-mu-TYK, instead of the civil "dai-pe-re-ku-riti"!

The chants for the other digits I am just afraid to quote here...

Holy crap ! What year ?

There is actually nothing wrong with this. The chants were not said out loud, but were firmly stored in the cadets' heads for personal intracerebral use only, so to speak, when receiving/transmitting radiograms.

leonid553:

There's an apartment complex there now.

the longest standing division headquarters

leonid553:

There is actually nothing wrong with this. The chants were not said out loud, but were firmly kept in the cadets' heads for personal use only, so to speak, when receiving/transmitting radiograms.

We had 4 - quaternary

yabukwazhee yabukwazhee yabukwazhee what's up

Ahh, nostalgia ((!)

Mischek2:

There's an apartment complex there now.

the longest standing division headquarters

That HQ - it was under construction when I was there!