What happened to Doe last night? - page 10

Richie >>:

Александр, это юмор такой. Согласитесь, перепутать 16е6 с 16е9 - это полный бздёж, извините за резкость.

And as usual, I said something stupid.
For example, I've transferred code from micro reals to reals several times, and a couple of times I forgot to re-set the volume. One time I got a good loss on it. The difference in volume in such a case may be 100 or 1000 times easily. Maybe even more. I probably should not be a trader at Citigroup :))) Although now I'm a scientist and I control the volumes separately.
I've seen mention of the same cases with other autotraders as well.

gip >>:
Падение было явно ненормальным. И выглядит как технический сбой, поэтому и не стали в панике распродаваться после восстановления. В броко такие падения раз в неделю случаются :)

I thought both ways. If the top Bid had disappeared on, say, a DJ index futures for technical or other reasons, it would have remained in the DIA index stock pick and an arbitrage situation would have occurred, which would not immediately go away and put the prices back into place.

There was clearly something more like a scam here, as the decline was not only in the index, but also in securities both in and out of the index. In other words, everything fell all at once. The bears couldn't have organized such a massive sell-off - they simply wouldn't have had the funds to sell all the Bids at once.

Obvious cheating, either by owners of trading venues, or by those who provide security of their computing equipment.

And the trader who allegedly mixed up the volumes is nonsense. Suppose he mixed up the volumes by 1000 times and the price by 1000 points. Anyway, he will suffer a loss, but the Bid will not suffer much. Only arbitrage traders and only on one instrument could make profit on his error, i.e. the orders would be sold like pies and the spread would collapse.

Traders can indeed make mistakes or robots get caught with glitches. It has happened and more than once. But a trade with that much volume is hard to miss in the trading log. That's why all these stories about traders' mistakes or computer glitches are nonsense. The computer can fail on one instrument - a non-market spike - but not on all at once.

Reshetov >>:

Явное жульничество.....
.....- нерыночная шпилька, но никак не по всем сразу.

and what's frustrating is that any fairy tale like that will actually fly at all levels, a definite U-turn by EB and nothing more, that's where the mistake comes from

In general, yes, the computer failure of the trading venues can already be ruled out. Different stocks were sold, sold on different platforms, arbitrage worked.

It's not the first or last time the index has fallen.
Another thing I wonder, has anyone in the world predicted this fall?
Funny if they did. Even if this guy just pointed his finger in the sky...
-the important thing is that he hit it. Now he'll go down in history as
the new Nostradamus of finance.
By the way, I do not believe the story about the trader's error - it is a childish childish child.

gip >>:
В общем да, компьютерный сбой торговых площадок можно уже исключить. Продавались разные акции, продавались на разных площадках, арбитраж работал.

Trader error can also be ruled out, as it is not a spider that opens trades with crazy volume on all instruments at once and unnoticed by arbitrage enthusiasts. Pest robots can also be ruled out for the same reasons.

Oper >>:
Эка невидаль,индекс обвалился.Не в первый и не последний раз.
Другое интересно,кто-нибудь в мире предсказывал это падение?

He's not stupid enough to shout on every corner that he's going to make up quotes and that he and his associates have short positions open everywhere they go, is he? He made a fortune, paid off the bigwigs at the SEC for giving him a roof and now he's smirking and reading tales of glitchy traders and robot pests.

gip >>:
В общем да, компьютерный сбой торговых площадок можно уже исключить. Продавались разные акции, продавались на разных площадках, арбитраж работал.

This is what makes us different from America: with us, it's like a blonde's computer is frozen, and everyone has work to do, like there's a reason to stop and think about what's going on;
but with Americans it's like - the computer gives crazy data, so the worker has to react automatically according to the algorithm and there's nothing to stand around and think
Clearly, the stupidest event provoked an avalanche-like movement in the markets in order to knock out small players, but these same small players were holding good volumes

Richie >>:

Был случай в истории человечества: один президент бубликом подавился :)

Don't confuse humanity with some prezik.

Reshetov >>:

Ошибку трейдера тоже можно исключить, т.к. он не паук, что открыть сделки сумасшедшим объемом по всем сразу инструментам и незаметно для любителей арбитража. Робота-вредителя тоже можно исключить по этим же причинам.

My scholasticism is on point. // You can kick, but not to the death.

In the background of sluggish market growth in the post (?) crisis period, most machines are set to short during sharp fluctuations (whether down or up). Like we sell on the upside (stat-arbitrage), and sell on the downside (you never know...). I.e. we buy only on the slow growth.

In this case an increase of market volatility could easily cause a chain reaction of automatons going crazy (?). Which is exactly what happened.