[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 481

Richie:

I remember one of these. But the voltage there is 220V. This one is over 2kV.
Who said anything about 2 kV? The author's no-load voltage is 150V, when welding under water the voltage at the arc is 20-30V. It's all from the 30s hammer-hammer, but every new generation of schoolboys is looking for their Nobel in the industrial dumps.

granit77:
Who said anything about 2kV? The author's idle voltage is 150V, when welding under water the arc voltage is 20-30V. It's all from the 30s hammer-hammer, but every new generation of schoolboys is looking for their Nobel in the industrial dumps.

So he wrote there himself - 2.2 kV. Under load, though, it's clearly less. 20-30 volt is the lowest voltage, below that the arc just won't burn at a small current. The arc length depends not only on the voltage value, but also on the current value. Here is an example.

Richie:

That's about it.

Quote: "Nikola Tesla pointed out that all his devices would only produce the expected effect with large voltages and powers."

Ridiculous nonsense)

I quote: "another attempt to impose the ramblings of an illiterate subject on the forum"

alsu:

Ridiculous nonsense)

I quote: "another attempt to impose the ramblings of an illiterate subject on the forum"

I liked it :))) It's a rare case where I too have something to say on the subject. :)))

Quote from Wiki

...many inventors, including Tesla himself, often use the spectacle of demonstrations and the scientific illiteracy of observers to make them believe even the most improbable theories, which is then used for material gain by the creators of those theories. Nowadays there are whole communities of people on the internet, where absurd and pseudoscientific theories on resonance transformer are popular and are presented as something unexplainable and unexplored, unrecognized by modern science, but undeniable. What they all have in common is that they do not recognise such a thing as a scientific experiment, which is one of the main criteria for the scientific validity of an empirical theory.

It's even funny how appropriate this quote is to our beloved forum))))

alsu: Цитата из Вики:

...many inventors, including Tesla himself, often exploit the spectacle of demonstrations and the scientific illiteracy of observers to make them believe even the most improbable theories, which is then used for material gain by the creators of those theories.

I don't see anything wrong with that. If it wasn't for Tesla, Wikipedia wouldn't even exist and neither would the person who wrote the article.

I have nothing against Tesla, he was a smart guy. In any case, fooling the common man for his own amusement is quite a harmless activity. It's not stealing inventions, as Edison used to do.)

So? What's the fun in that?