[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 480

alsu:
The dude might also be advised to put a wattmeter on the mains input and measure the power input more or less accurately.
I should add that the arc has a non-linear I/A characteristic, so the above measurements and calculations are fundamentally incorrect.
The law of conservation of energy again holds. Methods of checking such "phenomena" can be found in the laboratory work No.3 of the first semester of the electrical engineering course.

granit77:
I should add that the arc has a non-linear c/a characteristic, so the measurements and calculations given are fundamentally incorrect.
The law of conservation of energy again holds.
It also has an inductive resistance component, i.e. the power factor COS(phi) is less than unity.

Richie:

i.e. use a high quality direct current source. Only with a high quality DC current (constant in both magnitude and direction) is it possible to accurately measure the power consumption of the system. What to use as electrodes in this case is not quite clear. Platinum? Carbon?

The question also arises: what does water have to do with high voltages at all? Can this effect be possible without water - in a gas environment, although it is more difficult to measure the amount of energy released there. One could probably try an experiment with an arc burning in a gas discharge lamp - fluorescent, mercury, neon, etc.

Man, there's a long-known army-student water boiling machine - two razor blades are tied together with a string, with two matches put between them so they don't come into contact. A wire is attached to each blade, then plugged into a socket. A glass of water boils in 10 seconds.

alsu:
Man, there's a long-known army-student water boiling machine - two razor blades are tied together with a string, with two matches put between them so that the iron pieces don't touch. A wire is attached to each blade, then plugged into a socket. A glass of water boils in 10 seconds.

I remember one of these. But it's 220 volts. This one's over 2kV.

Richie:

I remember one of these. But the voltage there is 220V. This one is over 2kV.
It's after the transformer - so you can do 15kV at least.

alsu: It's after the transformer - you can do 15kV that way.

So the question is this. Is the amount of thermal energy emitted by the arc higher than the amount of electrical energy used to maintain the arc. In terms of school and university physics, they are equal, but .... if you think back to Tesla, e.g. ....

alsu:
Man, there's a long-known army-student water boiling machine - two razor blades are tied together with a string, with two matches put between them so that the iron pieces don't touch. A wire is attached to each blade, then plugged into a socket. A glass of water boils in 10 seconds.
It's a business trip. The main thing is not to make too small a gap, so the heat doesn't go into electrolysis.
I once used a loop and stick to make a three-phase flow heater in a shop heating system of 30 kva the size of a blueprint tube. It was used to maintain the system during interruptions in the heat supply from the boiler house.

granit77:
She's a tripwire. The main thing is not to make the gap too small, so that the heating does not go into electrolysis.
A three-phase flow heater for a 30 kva workshop heating system, the size of a blueprint tube, was once made with a loop and a stick. It was used to maintain the system during interruptions in the heat supply from the boiler house.

The infamous Galan boiler :) Electrolysis will happen anyway, you can't get away from it.

Richie:

.... if you remember Tesla for example ....

Don't remember him, haven't seen much)))

In all seriousness, what is this about?

alsu: I don't remember him, haven't seen much))) Seriously, what is it about?

About that.

Quote: "Nikola Tesla pointed out that all his devices would only produce the expected effect with large voltages and powers."