[Archive c 17.03.2008] Humour [Archive to 28.04.2012] - page 610

PapaYozh:

On that projection they are not perpendicular. There's just the assumption that somewhere they are perpendicular, and here that 'somewhere' looks like 'so'.

Well, I'll pass. I'm off to the animals.

That's exactly what a proeccia of five perpendicular lines in five-dimensional space looks like on a two-dimensional plane. If in doubt, you can ask an independent expert:)

Integer:

Please. Five perpendicular lines projected onto a plane in five-dimensional space

This is what a projection of five perpendicular lines in five dimensions onto a two-dimensional plane looks like. If in doubt, you can ask an independent expert:)

A five-dimensional space cannot be projected onto a plane, just as a cube cannot be projected onto a line or a point.

charter:
A five-dimensional space cannot be projected onto a plane, nor can a cube be projected onto a line.

Who told you that, where did that come from? You can. Any space of a larger dimension can be projected onto a space of fewer dimensions.

The projection of a cube onto a line looks like a line segment.

Integer:

Who told you that, where did that come from? You can. Any space of a larger dimension can be projected onto a space of fewer dimensions.

Ask the experts for help.

charter:
Ask the experts for help.

Let those experts better ask me for help if they think it is impossible.

Integer:

And the meaning of this segment... how do we check that it really was "our" cube?

Cmu4:

And the point of this segment... how can we verify that it really was "our" cube?

You can't tell from the projection what it was.

http://www.dissercat.com/content/metod-i-ustroistvo-vizualizatsii-prostranstvenno-raspredelennykh-obrazov-so-slozhnymi-topolo
Table of contents paragraph: "Applications and features of 11-dimensional object visualisation tasks".
It's only 7-dimensional.

Integer:

You can't tell from the projection what it was.

It could just as easily have been Novodvorskaya, not some cube! :)

I mean, we can do it, but I can't see any point other than to say 'I can do it'. :)