Total wiretapping is being introduced - page 26

СанСаныч Фоменко:

clause 2 is an opportunity given to the government by this law. How this opportunity will be used by the government we do not know. Starikov does not discuss this unknown future for him, unlike this thread.

Starikov has a well-tuned and coherent worldview. Always backs up his point of view with information. He does not twist or adjust to the "ideologically correct" result.

That's why I refer to him as a good source of information that I haven't double-checked for quite some time.

You really are so zombified by this Starikov, that you justify even his blatant lies, because he lies quite specifically, that the law allegedly says nothing about data storage, that the operators invented it all. The law says only about users' requests. Open your eyes. And as for "possibility" - what are you talking about? The law clearly says - must.

On previous pages, I quoted the wrong paragraph from the text of the law. It was referring to cellular communications, whereas we are now discussing the Internet. I stand corrected: here is the correct paragraph:

Статья 15 

To amend Article 101 of Federal Law No. 149-FZ of 27 July 2006 "On Information, Information Technologies and Information Protection" (Collected Legislation of the Russian Federation, 2006, No. 31, Article 3448; 2014, No. 19, Article 2302) as follows:

1) paragraph 3 shall be amended to read as follows:

"3. The organiser of information dissemination in the Internet shall keep on the territory of the Russian Federation:

1) information on the facts of the reception, transmission, delivery and (or) processing of voice information, written text, images, sounds, video or other electronic messages of Internet users and information about these users for one year from the end of such actions;

2) text messages of Internet users, voice information, images, sounds, video, other electronic messages of Internet users up to six months from the end of their reception, transmission, delivery and (or) processing . The procedure, terms and volume of storage of information specified in this sub-paragraph shall be established by the Government of the Russian Federation.";

2) to supplement paragraph 31 with the following content:

"31. The organizer of distribution of information on the Internet shall be obliged to provide the information specified in clause 3 of this article to authorised state bodies engaged in investigative activities or in ensuring the security of the Russian Federation in cases established by federal laws.";

3) To supplement paragraph 41 with the following content:

"41. The organizer of information dissemination in the "Internet" shall, when using for receiving, transmitting, delivering and (or) processing electronic messages of users of the "Internet" additional coding of electronic messages and (or) when providing users of the "Internet" with the possibility of additional coding of electronic messages submit to the federal executive body in the field of security information necessary for the decoding of received, transmitted, delivered and (or) processed

PRIVACY TOOLS

I will describe what I use:

hard drive
to encrypt the hard drive, you can enable the option in the bios and set a password on both the bios and the hard drive
this should be sufficient in most cases to protect your data
Advantages of hardware encryption: Everything is transparent, no extra steps required.
downsides of hardware encryption: Slight slowdown of the drive
Theoretically it is possible to reset the HDD password, at least some articles suggest so, but I haven't found any specific way to reset the password
some uefi bios do not allow encryption (some tablets) and have to deal with either the bitlocker windows or other tools

individual files
the best option is using cryptocontainers
truecrypt project has been compromised and has died, so it is now up to veracrypt to use the latest truecrypt version
pros: high strength, almost impossible to decrypt, indistinguishable from random data, no signatures, impossible to prove the file is a container!
disadvantages: Have to connect each time and enter the password.

you can also create a container on a flash drive, in the cloud, on a vps, anywhere
must have for business and private use
alternative - rar archives with passwords, faster and easier option and rar seems to be quite strong (according to what they write)
pros: no need for extra software, portability
downsides: decrypted files can be written in clear text and can theoretically be recovered later
reliable deletion requires a program to overwrite the free space on the disk with zeros

phone
i will describe android, i don't know about apple but it seems to have standard encryption
android by default does not encrypt data and this option needs to be enabled in the settings
Similarly you need to enable memory card encryption yourself
the downside is the need to enter a password to unlock the phone (calls are accepted without a password)
is it possible to reset the encryption in android? - didn't see any mention of this

cloud storage
Many are very negative about it but I don't see a problem here
in light of the new law important information should only be stored in foreign clouds (google drive, ms onedrive, etc.)

Sensitive information should generally not be kept on local drives.
Valuable information can be duplicated across multiple clouds.

VPS and VPN
the same as with clouds - only foreign services
to hide your access to a VPS server you need to connect to it via VPN
VPN speed is a limitation here (more = more expensive)

mail and messages
voice calls and sms are unattended
to use only foreign services for correspondence privacy
good services: google hangouts, telegram, bleep

to be truly private, use PGP messaging

Two Factor Authentication
gsm
is not secure, 2 Factor Authentication is risky
Risk can be mitigated by using a separate sim card specifically for this purpose (do not call from it)
or rent a virtual sim that no one knows about except the owner

proxy

to bypass blocked surveillance, it is sufficient to use opera turbo or chrome "save traffic".
There are also proxies in the form of addons: hotspot shield, zenmate, proxy for chrome, hola and many others.
Similar phone apps + Opera MAX
Plugins such as flash on web pages can pass the real ip!
you can use SoftEther VPN for a good anonymization
very worthy japanese development, creates a virtual connection, all traffic is sent through itself, servers can be selected from an updated list
for the most radical cases - TOR (slow)

social networks
is usually unnecessary
use anonymous accounts if necessary

Alexey Navoykov:

Man, how can you be so naive. Do you really think the law is really designed to combat terrorists? I mean. Instead of discreetly conducting surveillance like the CIA and identifying criminals, they are essentially warning the whole country: "Guys, from now on we will store all information from the Internet and phone conversations, and will also decrypt information encrypted by certified encryption methods. So be careful."

If before we could count on terrorists blundering through weakly protected channels that could be easily hacked by the FSB, now the terrorists will be extra vigilant. Now the terrorists will be extra vigilant, switching to strong encryption methods

indeed

Alexey Busygin:
I think the fifth column is afraid of encryption, so decryption will quickly expose them
Sixth column traders and freelancers don't like privacy breaches either.

Andrey Dik:
Do you think it is in the interests of the individual citizen to destroy the country?
Unfortunately, the destruction of the country is threatened not so much by terrorism as by the incompetence or egoistic desires of certain individuals at the top of power. While terrorists are always dealt with using all abilities of the state, there is no one to deal with those who got to power and hunger for more power, if people remain silent. This situation led to the collapse of the USSR, when Yeltsin, Kravchuk and Shushkevich, who were hungry for absolute power, conspired to bring about the collapse of the country.

transcendreamer:

PRIVACY TOOLS

hard drive
to encrypt the hard drive, you can enable the option in the bios and set a password on both the bios and the hard drive
this should be sufficient in most cases to protect your data
Advantages of hardware encryption: Everything is transparent, no extra steps required.
downsides of hardware encryption: Slight slowdown of the drive
Theoretically it is possible to reset the HDD password, at least some articles suggest so, but I haven't found any specific way to reset the password
some uefi bios do not allow encryption (some tablets) and have to deal with either the bitlocker windows or other tools

individual files
the best option is using cryptocontainers
truecrypt project has been compromised and has died, so it is now up to veracrypt to use the latest truecrypt version
pros: high strength, almost impossible to decrypt, indistinguishable from random data, no signatures, impossible to prove the file is a container!
disadvantages: Have to connect each time and enter the password.

you can also create a container on a flash drive, in the cloud, on a vps, anywhere
must have for business and private use
alternative - rar archives with passwords, faster and easier option and rar seems to be quite strong (according to what they write)
pros: no need for extra software, portability
downsides: decrypted files can be written in clear text and can theoretically be recovered later
reliable deletion requires a program to overwrite the free space on the disk with zeros

phone
i will describe android, i don't know about apple but it seems to have standard encryption
android by default does not encrypt data and this option needs to be enabled in the settings
Similarly you need to enable memory card encryption yourself
the downside is the need to enter a password to unlock the phone (calls are accepted without a password)
is it possible to reset the encryption in android? - didn't see any mention of this

cloud storage
Many are very negative about it but I don't see a problem here
in light of the new law important information should only be stored in foreign clouds (google drive, ms onedrive, etc.)

Sensitive information should generally not be kept on local drives.
Valuable information can be duplicated across multiple clouds.

VPS and VPN
the same as with clouds - only foreign services
to hide your access to a VPS server you need to connect to it via VPN
VPN speed is a limitation here (more = more expensive)

mail and messages
voice calls and sms are unattended
to use only foreign services for correspondence privacy
good services: google hangouts, telegram, bleep

to be truly private, use PGP messaging

Two Factor Authentication
gsm
is not secure, 2 Factor Authentication is risky
Risk can be mitigated by using a separate sim card specifically for this purpose (do not call from it)
or rent a virtual sim that no one knows about except the owner

proxy

to bypass blocked surveillance, it is sufficient to use opera turbo or chrome "save traffic".
There are also proxies in the form of addons: hotspot shield, zenmate, proxy for chrome, hola and many others.
Similar phone apps + Opera MAX
Plugins such as flash on web pages can pass the real ip!
you can use SoftEther VPN for a good anonymization
very worthy japanese development, creates a virtual connection, all traffic is sent through itself, servers can be selected from an updated list
for the most radical cases - TOR (slow)

social networks
is usually unnecessary
use anonymous accounts if necessary

What an instruction manual, agent saboteur.

khorosh:
Unfortunately, the destruction of the country is threatened not so much by terrorism as by the incompetence or egoistic desires of certain individuals at the top of power. And if terrorists are always fought with the use of all opportunities of the state, then there is no one to fight against those who got to power and thirst for more power, if the people are silent. This situation led to the collapse of the USSR, when Yeltsin, Kravchuk and Shushkevich, hungry for absolute power, conspired to bring about the country's collapse.
The fact that the USSR was bankrupt at the time and would have collapsed one way or another regardless of specific personalities is left out of the equation

transcendreamer:
The fact that the USSR was bankrupt at the time and would have collapsed one way or another regardless of specific personalities is left out of consideration
We'll never know.

transcendreamer:

PRIVACY TOOLS

Thank you, we'll take it from here. This seems to be the new reality we have to live with.