Goblin "BiPolar" Edition - page 16

E.a

Bluto, I have just found this message:

Cannot open file 'C:\ProgramFiles\expert\indicators\Turbo_JVEL.ex4'on the EUR/USD

JanusTrading:
Stop loss settings are way too tight!

So trades will get stopped out way too early(specially on a GBP/USD!!!!), even on a small pipstep setting like 5.(which might be a real "eyeopener" on GBP/USD)

In my experience too tight pipsteps are not protecting you against a market crash at all, but even worse, depending on the volatility of each pair, kill your account even faster(remember good old "multi lot scalper").

If i test, i usually use a 15-20 pipstep and a 25-30 TP with no stoploss at all.

Pick pairs, which have lower volatility and do not test on a GBP pair at first.

I found(do not laugh) USD/CAD as an excellent "testpair" since it moves nice and cyclical.

Janus

Excellent post! (as always )

Yves81:
Bluto, I have just found this message: Cannot open file 'C:\ProgramFiles\expert\indicators\Turbo_JVEL.ex4'on the EUR/USD

Ok...that means you probably didn't copy some or all of the 3 indicators that were included in the zip file to your \experts\indicators folder. When you unzip the file downloaded from my first post, you need to move the three indicators that start with "Turbo_" to your indicators folder. If any of these are missing, the EA cannot process trade signals.

E.a

Thank you so much Bluto,

I had not installed(settled) three indicators. I have just made him(it).

Friendly Yves

Bluto,

I've made some changes to bipolar that you might like...

a) target equity to close orders switchable between fixed $ and %

b) target equity closes and resets to continue next cycle.

c) volatility-based lot amounts (based on 'N' and risk % as in Turtle Trading)

Want me to post it? I'm still tinkering with settings...haven't been able to get it to run more than about 23 months without a stop out in backtesting.

sstillwell

Settings

Stop loss settings are way too tight!

So trades will get stopped out way too early(specially on a GBP/USD!!!!), even on a small pipstep setting like 5.(which might be a real "eyeopener" on GBP/USD)

In my experience too tight pipsteps are not protecting you against a market crash at all, but even worse, depending on the volatility of each pair, kill your account even faster(remember good old "multi lot scalper").

If i test, i usually use a 15-20 pipstep and a 25-30 TP with no stoploss at all.

Pick pairs, which have lower volatility and do not test on a GBP pair at first.

I found(do not laugh) USD/CAD as an excellent "testpair" since it moves nice and cyclical.

You want to see the trade placement and the total EA behaviour at first, study the results and than play with the settings.

I keep records on all my tests and apply them after each change to compare results.Keep in mind that a daily chart with the Bollinger Bands can add additional information to your testing.Try a Bipolar version on a correlated pair setting to see this result(thats my personal aim for the next few weeks)

And...........give the EA time, folks , today and the next days is still holiday season.Boilertests will have to wait until 7th Jan anyway to draw a better conclusion from the current testing.

Janus

sstillwell:
Bluto,

Want me to post it? I'm still tinkering with settings...haven't been able to get it to run more than about 23 months without a stop out in backtesting.

sstillwell

post it!! But I have already started my forward test on current version that was posted to me with equity target as %.

Any way. I have found in back testing that the target of 30 and pip step of 8 would do well for nice peroids of time, would eventually kill an account with out manual intervention.

Through lots of testing over the long weekend I have foung that pip step of around 20 and target of around 15 keeps you from getting trades left behind. There are a couple ocations where even those settings got left behind. But not befor it turned 5k into 30k.

A larger account or using micro lots and opening max trades 5 every 20 pips will take a 100 pip streight line move befor all 5 trades will be opened. Target is only 15 so the liklyhood of a 15 pip retrace on a 100 pip move is really good. But that last 5th order will close you for a small loss. It just allows you to get out of the other 4 losing orders with a very minimal loss. And at about the 3rd order opening it will already be starting to place orders in the other direction. So by the time a 4th and 5th order is opened you've made some money on that move against you.

Bipoler trades very well in trending markets as well as ranged markets.

Just gotta keep an eye on trend changes and be ready intervene.

equity target

ok still have not placeed any trades sence I put the target equity on as soon as I put it on at 10 I think it was it closed all trades and hasnt reopened any sence early this morning. Also I have turned thats back off and still nothing. redownloaded it still nothing. ??????????

Enjoy.

Bluto, feel free to integrate any of this to your version if you like. Just trying to give back a little.

sstillwell

sstillwell:
Bluto,

sstillwell

That sounds cool! Can you send me your mods and I'll incorporate them into the existing EA? That way, we won't have a slew of hybrids floating around and confusing everyone.