[Archive! - page 604

MetaDriver: So don't separate for nothing. Who's forcing you?
No one is. There's the modern scientific mainstream that draws the line. And that mainstream has yet to find any other life than carbon.

MetaDriver:

I disagree. What is the objective criterion for living matter? My answer is self-reproduction. And certainly not DNA. DNA/RNA reproduction is only one of the possible mechanisms for reproducing structures of its own.

More specifically, DNA/RNA are just macromolecules designed to carry and store information - a matrix, or a kind of floppy disk. Anything can be a floppy disk - waves, for example (thanks to Uncle Fyodor).

MetaDriver:

My salutes to joo.

Likewise.

PS

In general I remember a story in which a man lost both his legs in a car crash. His legs were replaced by nice prosthetics, not inferior to natural legs. In short, the man was eventually replaced with prosthetics for everything, and his brain too (preserving all of the man's memory in the artificial brain).

The guy then had to sue the prosthesis company, because the company wanted all the prostheses back, because there was nothing "alive" left of the guy. The man won the lawsuit because he proved that he was alive, even though his body was made entirely of metal and plastic....

joo: In fact, I recall a story in which a man lost both his legs in a car accident.

Can you find the story?

Mathemat:
Can you find the story?
I'll try to remember. There's a lot of baloney in there about an injured 'undead' man, judges and lawyers, but it reads in the same breath.

Mathemat:
No one does. There is the modern scientific mainstream that draws the line. And that mainstream has yet to find any other life than carbon.
The mainstream is like that. They're always a little bit like religion. :)

MetaDriver:

It's not hard for me. :) I am generally not very diligent in drawing the line between the living and the non-living. Consciousness, for instance (as you rightly pointed out - the very essence of life) I consider to be an inherent attribute of all matter in general.

So inseparable, in fact, that I don't mind saying vice versa: matter is an attribute of consciousness. For me, little changes from such a rearrangement.

Always thought so too, but never dared to say it out loud. )

MetaDriver:
Thank you. Quite a reasonable man. I respect that.
"That man", thank you. And for his experiments and his work, and for connecting science to "spirituality"...

DhP:

Always thought so too, but never dared to say it out loud. )

Now I'll be proud of my courage. ))

DDFedor:
"To this man" - thank you. And for the experiments, and for his work, and for linking science with "spirituality"...
No, no. Thank you, too. You can't get away with it. )

By and large, Goryaev's work shows that life can probably originate in a "totally enclosed" space under the influence of EMW (as a means of information transfer), and of course under "favourable" conditions of the receiving medium.