[Archive c 17.03.2008] Humour [Archive to 28.04.2012] - page 611

Integer:

Who told you that, where did that come from? You can. Any space of a larger dimension can be projected onto a space of fewer dimensions.

The projection of a cube onto a line looks like a line segment.

I'm curious about what a section of a five-dimensional object looks like. I suppose you know that better than the experts, too.

Sergey_Rogozin:
I'm curious as to what the projection of a five-dimensional object onto three-dimensional space looks like. I suppose you know that better than the experts, too.

Sorry, but the screen is flat, I can't demonstrate it.

Integer:

Sorry, but the screen is flat, I can't demonstrate.

But a section of five-dimensional space would probably be easier for you to demonstrate.

Sergey_Rogozin:
But the section of five-dimensional space will probably be easier for you to demonstrate.

What difference does it make if the section is three dimensional and the screen is flat (two dimensional), there is no way to represent it.

It will represent one vertex of a parallelepipedic cube with three faces coming out of it.

Integer:

What difference does it make if the section is three dimensional and the screen is flat (two dimensional), there is no way to represent it.

It will represent one vertex of a cube with three faces coming out of it.

We must have misunderstood each other.

I'm talking about a section of a five-dimensional object. Excuse me, what does this have to do with three-dimensional space?

Sergey_Rogozin:

We must have misunderstood each other.

I'm talking about a section of a five-dimensional object. Excuse me, what does this have to do with three-dimensional space?

And how many dimensions are you talking about?

Sergey_Rogozin:
Любопытно, как выглядит проекция пятимерного объекта на трехмерное пространство. Полагаю, Вы и это знаете лучше экспертов.

Then you changed the projection to a cross section.

Integer:

And how many dimensions are you talking about?
I'm talking about the cross section of a five-dimensional object.

The projection will look like a hedgehog with five needles sticking out in different directions

Sergey_Rogozin:
I'm talking about sectioning a five-dimensional object.

How many dimensions do you need to section the five-dimensional space?