Here's the new "Goblin" ea...little brother to Predator - page 44

phorex_phreak:
giapel,

the EA is located on the first post i think......

Bluto,

in terms of "protection", what do you mean by this??? explain to me how the EA is going to handle the sudden news event of a plane crashing into another building or some other catastrophe and dropping 500 pips within 30 minutes????? im just curious if your putting any hedging techniques in the EA.....let me know...

The EA now continuously monitors the trend, unlike with the standard behavior of the 10Point3 engine upon which Goblin is based where it doesn't check in with the indicators until MaxTrades is exhausted. See an earlier post of mine where I explained how the old code works. By monitoring the the JVEL indicator for the current bar tick by tick, big swings in the opposite direction can immediatley be detected and reacted to. This is new.

Attached is a sneak preview of some preliminary backtesting results...still a work in progress, but promising.

bluto:
The EA now continuously monitors the trend, unlike with the standard behavior of the 10Point3 engine upon which Goblin is based where it doesn't check in with the indicators until MaxTrades is exhausted. See an earlier post of mine where I explained how the old code works. By monitoring the the JVEL indicator for the current bar tick by tick, big swings in the opposite direction can immediatley be detected and reacted to. This is new. Attached is a sneak preview of some preliminary backtesting results...still a work in progress, but promising.

ok, bluto

good result, but backtesting has model quality to 50%, can you backtesting with 90% model quality?, if you want to post Ea i 'd test it next week.

thank you

giapel

nice results i look forward to the improvements.

Here is my last weeks statement on aud/usd.

I had a idea I am going to try out.

I am going to put goblin on 2 charts. Each a different majic number. One will be long only and one will be short only. That way if I have long positions open and it pulls back and trend changes to short, then the other short only will start taking trades the other direction. Thus hedging the open long positions and making money as the trend is moving down, and waiting to move back up again.

And if I get stuck with short orders open and the trend changes to up then I can still have orders placed and hedge the open shorts.

I dunno, mabe its just me but I think that is brilliant

Dave

edit: mabe you can have a different majic # for long and short orders. I think this cound be the real answer and make this very safe.

Files:

That is a great idea xxDavidxx, I think I'm going to run some backtests on that just to see what happens on some of my already profitable pairs.

Some people post suggestions and ideas.

Some people post results and pieces of code.

But,

If I was Bluto, I wouldnt' take too kindly to some of the demanding statements that are being made here. I agree Bluto is a talented coder and I also look forward to the changes that he implements as well as waiting for the next release.

Realize this, he is under no obligation to anyone to 'explain' anything to you, or 'code' the ideas that you think MUST be in the EA.

If you feel that strongly about something, feel free to browse the mql4 docs and write some code.

/rant off

david,

ive tried this method of reasoning and it doesnt work, simply because while 1 is losing and accumulating lots to cover the other is profiting and not accumulating lots, so if the price drops drastically 200 pips than you'll have one side with a whole bunch of open positions and the other side had very small TP's in comparison and still at a small lot size.......HEDGING ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THE SECRET TO THIS WHOLE EA, NOT THE TRENDING INDICATORS, HEDGING IS WHAT WILL SAVE OUR ASSES IF SHIT HITS THE FAN, YOU CAN BANK ON IT!!!!!!!

xxDavidxSxx:

I am going to put goblin on 2 charts. Each a different majic number. One will be long only and one will be short only. That way if I have long positions open and it pulls back and trend changes to short, then the other short only will start taking trades the other direction. Thus hedging the open long positions and making money as the trend is moving down, and waiting to move back up again.

And if I get stuck with short orders open and the trend changes to up then I can still have orders placed and hedge the open shorts.

Dave

edit: mabe you can have a different majic # for long and short orders. I think this cound be the real answer and make this very safe.

xxDavidxSxx:

Dave

It's amazing sometimes that the answers to the complex problems are the simplest remedies right beneath our nose. Certainly worth giving it a shot.

Tross:
Some people post suggestions and ideas.

Some people post results and pieces of code.

But,

If I was Bluto, I wouldnt' take too kindly to some of the demanding statements that are being made here. I agree Bluto is a talented coder and I also look forward to the changes that he implements as well as waiting for the next release.

Realize this, he is under no obligation to anyone to 'explain' anything to you, or 'code' the ideas that you think MUST be in the EA.

If you feel that strongly about something, feel free to browse the mql4 docs and write some code.

/rant off

Tross,

of course he is under no obligation to anyone, just like you nor i are as well, however, having said that, im a straight up type of guy who will tell you like it is weather you like it or not, i have 7-8 years trading forex and i have seen systems come and go, Goblin is a superb EA written by a talented programmer no doubt... but if i can lend my experience of what i see is going on with the EA then i will......i find people are concentrating on trend indicators to save there ass when shit hits the fan and i think there in for a big surprise when mamma moves 500 pips in one direction very fast......but then again i think hedging is the MOST important aspect of this EA...but then again, its just my opinion and i feel very strongly in it and the EA...i believe BLUTO has come up with something special but is just missing that 1 element of hedging...i just would love to see the Goblin go to the next level with hedging, and i believe this EA can do it........

phorex_phreak:
david, I've tried this method of reasoning and it doesnt work, simply because while 1 is losing and accumulating lots to cover the other is profiting and not accumulating lots, so if the price drops drastically 200 pips than you'll have one side with a whole bunch of open positions

I only set it to open max of 4 positions. Thats about all you can get with out the daily trend changing. And that usually covers most retrace levels.

I am going to run it on 3 pairs for a month and see. Won't know anything good untill I see a couple daily trend changes take place.

Dave

phorex_phreak:
Tross, of course he is under no obligation to anyone, just like you nor i are as well, however, having said that, im a straight up type of guy who will tell you like it is weather you like it or not, i have 7-8 years trading forex and i have seen systems come and go, Goblin is a superb EA written by a talented programmer no doubt... but if i can lend my experience of what i see is going on with the EA then i will......i find people are concentrating on trend indicators to save there ass when shit hits the fan and i think there in for a big surprise when mamma moves 500 pips in one direction very fast......but then again i think hedging is the MOST important aspect of this EA...but then again, its just my opinion and i feel very strongly in it and the EA...i believe BLUTO has come up with something special but is just missing that 1 element of hedging...i just would love to see the Goblin go to the next level with hedging, and i believe this EA can do it........

phreak...take a look at the GBPJPY strategytester statement I posted for a glimpse at how fastbars and sudden trend shifts are being handled by some of the mods I'm working on. The indicators are sensing these shifts and responding appropriately. I'd agree with you that hedging strategies can be incredibly effective, but they're complicated and time consuming to develop and code...we need to take baby steps here. What I'm attempting to do is push the envelope and refine the 10Point3 backbone because it has shown promise albeit horrible risk. Who knows...we may get to a point where we decide the possibilities have been exhausted with morphing 10Point3 into something reliable and scrap it for something totally new. In any event, I refuse to give up and concede defeat because I know that the right EA is out there somewhere and it will be built...it may be a nice phat pure hedging model! For the time being, let's perform due diligence and evolve this thing progressively. If anyone here is looking for a quick fix or a bulletproof EA they can go to the bank with, they're in the wrong thread.