Here's the new "Goblin" ea...little brother to Predator - page 40

Martingale

Bluto

You spoke of true Martingale that phorex phreak is speaking of below. When you make positions opening different directions incrementaly increasing. Does anyone know of an EA that was built with this strategy? It may help us with code writing or testing to determine profitability. That system makes sense in my head!

phorex_phreak:
bluto,

nice EA, but the problem comes when you have a shitty day on the US dollar and the majors fall by 400 or 500 pips in one fell swoop with no retracement.....its happened before and it will happen again, how do you intend on adjusting to that disaster???? also, there is someone in the elite forum with a good idea, here it is:

"With default settings, it should take an initial position based on an indicator, and if the price moves against that position by 10 pips, it takes a second position - twice as big - in the opposite direction. If the price then moves agains the second position by 10 pips it will take a third position in the opposite direction of the second one (the same direction as the first one) again at twice the size. In this way, the EA is defining a range of 10 pips and keeps making trades at the same place until the range is broken. Once the price moves out of this range by a certain amount, all trades are closed and profit is taken."

Let me know what you think.......maybe you can collaborate with him and come up with something to protect against HUGE market moves....
bluto:
Yes...I saw that. That's classic true Martingale which Goblin/10Point3/Terminator isn't. Definitely a big improvement but would require a complete overhaul of the trade processor...something I'm already working on. I suppose for now we're just working within the constraints of what 10Point3 offers us until we can build something better. I think we're on to something good with this Goblin, but it's going to require the right settings and perhaps a few more mods which will then give us an EA that has a fairly well known risk/reward state.

Progression

There has been talk of using Fibonacci numbers to progress Goblin and I will be testing the latest version with that option next week.

Martingale has been used from the beginning of 10points 3.

There is a 1.5 progression that I have recently become aware of via the 10points 3 thread and this involves making Maxtrades13 or over the progression and I will be testing Goblin1 on a seperate platform with that option.

I have attached a gif showing the drawdowns compared so that we can see what is involved if the levels are breached

John

Files:
progression.gif  55 kb

bluto:
Found something interesting in the code of Goblin (and 10Point3/Terminator). I could kick myself in the ass quite frankly for not having discovered this sooner but I've been so focused on the trend logic until now.

Here's the home-wrecker:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

if (OpenOrders<1)

{

myOrderType=OpenOrdersBasedOnTrendRSX();

if (ReverseCondition==1)

{

if (myOrderType==1) { myOrderType=2; }

else { if (myOrderType==2) { myOrderType=1; } }

}

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What this says, is "If there are no open orders at the moment and we're ready to start a new cycle of opening trades up to the MaxTrades limit, go check the trend and report back with what the new ordertype should be based on what JRSX and JVEL have to say; either a value of 1 for sell, or 2 for buy (or 3 for do nothing right now). Herein lies the flaw...in spite of how great the indicators might be tracking

the trend, the EA isn't using this info until the sequence up to Maxtrades exhausts itself. The EA should be continuously tuned into the indicators so it can bail out on an order sequence gone bad if necessary. You might be in buy mode while the trend is dropping like a hot potato, but until you max out the trade sequence count up to Maxtrades, the EA will just keep issuing buy orders and racking up the losses.

Definitely a point of failure that will be fixed.

hehe.. This fix will make this EA much safer in trending periods.

Can you not make an option to turn it on and off to avoid too many different versions of this EA?

I can't resist it

bluto,

Forgive me if I am a little pushy here, but pls do consider the idea of making goblin a true trend follower.

Let's take a look at Eur/USD. Let's use a very simple daily trend indicator, 3-day simple moving average. It could have detected the recent uptrend of Eur as early as Nov.21, and the bull signal has never been changed so far. Imagin goblin only long on Eur/USD since Nov.21, it would have earned us a profit of at least 500pips! And it would have given us 800pips on GBP/USD.

This is just too attactive.

Thanks

teamfri

bluto:
There's one thing we've all discounted in our testing that can have a dramatic impact on results, even when two people are using identical settings and even same brokers....timing of entry. When the EA was fired up will have a huge impact on all successive trades. Once the EA starts, the indicators will signal the next trend wave to jump on and these entry points will of course vary from tester to tester. Thereafter, it's all up to how long the MaxTrades cycle persists until it's exhausted. Everyone is going to have different buy/sell entry points on their charts, and as I showed in the earlier code snippet, they're not necessarily going to be good ones the way the 10Point3 logic is currently written. I think this is why some guys have had good results and some have had bad, even with identical settings. One of the keys though has been to use small lot sizes under that scenario. Having said all of that, I'm modifying the EA extensively to continuously track the trend and bail out of a bad cycle as the situation dictates, not when MaxTrades has been reached. Should be a very helpful mod.

Bluto,

I have had exceptional results with Goblin EA running a $10,000 demo mini acct on FXDD, default settings as posted on 11/28/06. 1 H time frame with JVEL on 1 Hr also. The EA has run 24/7 (with it being started 2 hrs before the London open on 11/28) with the exception being that a storm took out my power about two hours before the close on Friday. From what I can tell, this did not have any effect on the trades after the outage.

With just 4 days of trading, the account is $120 short of doubling! Pretty amazing. None of those days had any significant draw downs...only two digits, while there were two wins on 3.2 lots of $1280. A brief review of the trades did not reveal any taken in the wrong direction, although I need to study this more. My float is - $167 with all trades in the right trend direction.

Please find posted my statements.

Files:

Trader 1,

what version do you use , and what settings

Thanks

Trader1:
Bluto,

I have had exceptional results with Goblin EA running a $10,000 demo mini acct on FXDD, default settings as posted on 11/28/06. 1 H time frame with JVEL on 1 Hr also. The EA has run 24/7 (with it being started 2 hrs before the London open on 11/28) with the exception being that a storm took out my power about two hours before the close on Friday. From what I can tell, this did not have any effect on the trades after the outage.

With just 4 days of trading, the account is $120 short of doubling! Pretty amazing. None of those days had any significant draw downs...only two digits, while there were two wins on 3.2 lots of $1280. A brief review of the trades did not reveal any taken in the wrong direction, although I need to study this more. My float is - $167 with all trades in the right trend direction.

I saw the details of your trades on your statement, you won big because goblin only long Euro and GBP during this period, they trade in the same drection of daily trend.

But during this period, at certain point 1h JRSX and 4hJVEL signal allowed openning short trades on Eur and GBP. If the EA was launched at that particular time, there is a risk of being caught in the wrong direction. So, why don't we just use daily trend as direction signal. Once the EA is launched, open the postion in the direction of daily trend immediately, and always keep opening trads in line with daily trend.

teamfri:
I saw the details of your trades on your statement, you won big because goblin only long Euro and GBP during this period, they trade in the same drection of daily trend. But during this period, at certain point 1h JRSX and 4hJVEL signal allowed openning short trades on Eur and GBP. If the EA was launched at that particular time, there is a risk of being caught in the wrong direction. So, why don't we just use daily trend as direction signal. Once the EA is launched, open the postion in the direction of daily trend immediately, and always keep opening trads in line with daily trend.

That's exactly what the next version of Goblin ("Goblin TF") is going to do. When a strong trend direction shift is detected, it will close existing positions and begin opening new ones in the new direction...immediately.

Trader1:
Bluto,

That's just astounding!

Trader1:
Bluto,

I don't see any settings posted on 11/28/06. What settings are you referring to? What is 2HR before London time in EST?

Thanks