Phoenix - Development+Suggestions - MQ4 in Post#1 - page 32

m6m6:
Recently, Phoenix took trades during very low volume period es, Friday afternoon, yesterday afternoon and at this moment just before the interest rate statement. I am not very comfortable with those trades as they seam to be random.

What do you guys thinks ?

In my opinion, if there is not sufficient volume, there should not be a trade. May be, we could update a schedule of important to prevent taking a trade 1 or 2 hour before news events.

If the issue is volume, than an indicator that uses volume would be a good idea. Perhaps for Phoenix 6.

I went looking at volume and found that it I didn't have a good way to define "low volume" from the chart data. Timefilter needs to be rewritten for Phoenix6, maybe we should just have a friday/sunday filter to block trading certain hours of those days.

News events are often good to Phoenix, but I consider them random 50:50 on direction - which often means we loose money due to TS:SL being usually set to 1:2. There was another file I recently saw with a news filter as a web service. I'm considering using that, since it looked so nice.

Private Messages

I just discovered that I have private messages. If you sent me one, please accept my apologies for not responding. I didn't know that they were there.

For Phoenix 6, would it be possible to build all inidicators into the EA. This way people won't have to create a new template to see what's going on. I'm sure it will also help with debugging. All indicators used in the signals should be used, plus the trade triggers on the currency line, like the old Phoenix indicator.

Best version to date for live trading?

Can someone direct me to the best version of Phoenix available at this time for live mini trading accounts?

A link to the download would be great.

Cheers

fxgrm

Live Trading Version

I do not think any of the versions are ready for prime time yet, but I suppose that 5.7.1a is the most stable, at least in mode 1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is a link for this version: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum

Thanks for responding autumnleaves. I will take a closer look at it. So you wouldn't recommend using older v5_6_03?

autumnleaves:
I do not think any of the versions are ready for prime time yet, but I suppose that 5.7.1a is the most stable, at least in mode 1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Here is a link for this version: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum

I'm just a stooopid noob and all, but if I have an EA that uses 2 settings to decide when to enter a trade, and it is profitable long term on valid history data 100% of the time if the two settings are more than 10% apart but still within valid range, is that a holy grail?

The only setting with any significant drawdown had settings of CloseMin=-0.7, CloseMax=-0.5. I also accidentally had it optimize the SL (only 3 values allowed) and it chose the one that isn't recommended. Now I have some settings optionally marked invalid.

ALL valid settings are profitable on some currencies, and it can trade with more settings on nearly any currency. It can do 3 trades per year (per currency) or 2000 trades per year (per currency) and do them both profitably. (Change 1 number).

Is ... that a holy grail?

I'm emailing it to a few people I know well as a demo.

Edit: swap helps, and some settings need the filters I have written. Others don't.

Holy Grail

Sounds to good to be true. Is it really true? Ship it over and let the rest of us noobs have a gander.

Problem with TS

I think that TS is not working properly, at least in the Trending version of Phoenix I am using.

Attached are two chart shots, one showing a few hours of activity with TS=0, the other TS=5. The TP and SL are both 20. The settings are optimized from visual inspection of indicators and one run of backtesting.

In the TS=0, both sell transactions go out in profit within the same bar as the transaction was initiated. Profit is 20 both times. However in the TS=5 chart, the trades hang around until they go negative, and close on losses. Shouldn't the TS have salvaged the profit, or even a bigger profit beyond the 20 pips of the TP? I am very confused. Is this why backtesting the reversed Phoenix has been so inconsistent?

The report shows the log of events with TS=5. Somebody help!!

Files:

The report

Here's the report file for the above message.

Files:
testts5-tp20.htm  188 kb