AI 2023. Meet ChatGPT. - page 138

Реter Konow #:

Many statements about the materiality of information, without specifying its material properties, do not serve as proof of anything .

can you link to posts by people who have talked about the materiality of information? - I may have missed something.

Andrey Dik #:

can you link to the posts of people who talked about the materiality of information? - I may have missed something.

Read your own posts. Last time you wrote about waves piercing everyone and everything. What does that have to do with information? Waves are waves. Information is information. Some people talk about quarks, others about quantum mechanics. If information is immaterial, what does any of this have to do with anything?

Реter Konow #:
Read your posts. The last time you wrote about waves piercing everyone and everything. What does that have to do with information? Waves are waves. Information is information. Some people talk about quarks, others about quantum mechanics. If information is immaterial, what does any of this have to do with anything?

so there is no link to the post?)))) i never said anywhere about the materiality of information.

I remember from the experience of the AO championship thread your extreme creativity, and in this place phenomenal ability to lead the topic into the maze, as well as constant attempts to dispute absolutely obvious things.

There are several concepts of the term "information", each of them is used in different contexts. but we are interested in the concept that can be applied in the development of AI and IO.

information is a description, an attribute of any object or phenomenon. any object, be it an electron or a galaxy, has the attribute "information". therefore, information is not a material object, just as the name of a person is not material. but information as well as the name can be recorded on a carrier. every object in the universe has information about itself and can contain additionally other information about other objects. having full information about an object, it is possible to hypothetically recreate the object, including fictional ones.

As you can see, I didn't say anything about the materiality of information. Everything I said is elementary stuff learnt in the school course of computer science.

the more we understand the properties of information, the more opportunities to apply interpolation (knowing information about two objects or phenomena, we can theoretically obtain and then experimentally verify new information) and approximation (knowing information about a set of objects, we can obtain new laws of physics and experimentally verify) and then extrapolation. the more consistent information about objects and phenomena, the more accurate the conclusions and new information obtained, this is how generative networks work, which can not just give ready reference

The more different and consistent information is collected, the more complete and useful new information can be obtained.

Andrey Dik #:

so no link to the post?))) I never said anything about the materiality of the information.

I remember from the experience of the AO championship thread your extreme creativity, and in this place your phenomenal ability to take the topic into the wilds, as well as constant attempts to dispute absolutely obvious things.

there are several concepts of the term "information", each of them is used in different contexts. but we are interested in the concept that can be applied to AI and IO developments.

information is a description, an attribute of any object or phenomenon. any object, be it an electron or a galaxy, has the attribute "information". therefore, information is not a material object, just as a person's name is not material. but information as well as a name can be recorded on a carrier. every object in the universe has information about itself and can additionally contain other information about other objects. having full information about an object, it is possible to hypothetically recreate the object, including fictitious ones.

As you can see, I said nothing about the materiality of information.

Summarising what you said, waves and other forms of matter are carriers of information in the universe. This information is not intended for specific addressees. It exists by itself, just as it is.

Summarising what I have said, waves and other forms of matter are "stimuli" of the organism's nervous system. It does not perceive information, but DATA OF INTERACTION. Then, at the stage of secondary processing of DATA, the internal product of the nervous system is synthesised - information of practical importance for the organism's survival. Information contributing to its adaptation to the environment.

For humans, everything is more complicated, but the principle is the same.

Реter Konow #:
1. Summarising what you have said, waves and other forms of matter are the carriers of information in the universe. This information is not intended for specific addressees. It exists by itself, just as it is.

2. Summarising what I have said, waves and other forms of matter are "stimuli" of the nervous system of the organism. It does not perceive information, but DATA OF INTERACTION. Then, at the stage of secondary processing of DATA, the internal product of the nervous system is synthesised - information of practical importance for the organism's survival. Information contributing to its adaptation to the environment.

For humans, everything is more complicated, but the principle is the same.

1. Yes, information is freely carried in the Universe by means of waves and does not owe anything to anyone and is not intended for anyone. Any matter is a carrier of information, also because matter is also a wave. Besides waves, information can be stored and carried in many ways, most of which we do not yet know.

2. There is no need to bind information to the nervous system, information has long been successfully processed and transported without the action of the nervous system - examples have already been given and not only by me. Nervous system is only one of the ways to work with information and appeared evolutionarily, it could not have appeared at all. On Earth (and most likely not only on Earth) information was processed, generated and compressed long before the appearance of nervous activity.

Andrey Dik #:

1. Yes, information is freely carried in the Universe by means of waves and does not owe anything to anyone and is not intended for anyone. Any matter is a carrier of information, also because matter is also a wave. Besides waves, information can be stored and transported in many ways, most of which we do not know yet.

2. There is no need to bind information to the nervous system, information has long been successfully processed and transported without the action of the nervous system - examples have already been given and not only by me. Nervous system is only one of the ways of working with information and appeared evolutionarily, it could not have appeared at all. On Earth (and most likely not only on Earth) information was processed, generated and compressed long before the appearance of nervous activity.

So what is information? Waves, particles, neutrinos, etc. are transferred. What is information if there is no recipient? They're forms of matter. Not even data. For there to be data, there has to be an interaction with someone. For someone to see light, feel heat, feel touch, react to vibrations, perceive frequencies.... etc. Without this there is NO DATA, let alone information.

I can only agree that the universe is permeated with "potential" data that could arise if someone interacts with that matter. Then, information can emerge from that data.

Реter Konow #:
So what's the information? Waves, particles, neutrinos, etc. are transferred. What's the information if there's no recipient? They're forms of matter. Not even data. For there to be data, there has to be an interaction with someone. For someone to see light, feel heat, feel touch, react to vibrations, perceive frequencies.... etc. Without this there is NO DATA, let alone information.

I can only agree that the universe is permeated with "potential" data that could arise if someone interacts with that matter. Then, information can emerge from that data.

you may or may not agree with me, as long as it's useful to you.)

viruses are not only viruses have no nervous system or sensory system, but they are not alive at all. viruses are just complex molecules. computer viruses act in the same way, they reproduce, infiltrate, change information, although they are just currents in wires - you can draw far-reaching conclusions from this too, if you wish.

Andrey Dik #:

you can agree or disagree with me, as long as it is useful to you))))

viruses are not only viruses have no nervous system or sensory system, they are not alive at all. viruses are just complex molecules. computer viruses act in the same way, they reproduce, infiltrate, change information, although they are just currents in wires - you can draw far-reaching conclusions from this too, if you wish.

As for biological viruses and genes, you are confusing biochemical processes with information exchange.

Andrey Dik #:

you can agree or disagree with me, as long as it is useful to you))))

viruses are not only viruses have no nervous system or sensory system, but they are not alive at all. viruses are just complex molecules. computer viruses act in the same way, multiply, infiltrate, change information, although they are just currents in wires - you can draw far-reaching conclusions from this too, if you wish.

Notice the general pattern in the reasoning: lack of understanding of the nature of information all the time leads people to some micro-particles, waves, quarks, strings, genes and other things, in which they have little understanding, but for some reason they are sure that there is information there)).

Реter Konow #:
Regarding biological viruses and gene, you are confusing biochemical processes with information exchange.

)))

I kind of understand why you are linking information to neural activity. You are evaluating information in terms of usefulness, i.e. in relation to something.

on a pack of chips there is a lot of information encoded in different ways: an image of fried potatoes, a barcode, a QR code, a text description - is this information? yes, information. an alien looking at a pack of chips, having a nervous system, will understand nothing, nothing at all, but has information ceased to exist if he does not understand it? so the perception of information depends not only and not so much on the presence of a nervous system, but on the way information is encoded.

I don't understand why you reject the obvious: what difference does it make how information is transmitted? by transferring a flash drive from hand to hand, by exchanging liquids during close communication, by viruses with the algorithm of building protein structures encoded in RNA and DNA, or by electromagnetic waves, or by bumping heads in a school corridor and contracting measles, or by the collision of star systems and the subsequent migration of inhabitants to neighbouring planets?)))))))) it is all transmission and exchange of information.