Strategies that work - page 25

Sergei Lanin:

Actually , "The secret of a good strategy is to spend 90% of your time controlling your risks, not your imaginary profits." Those are the words ofPaul Tudor Jones from the 1987 movie Trader. I think that a person whose current fortune is $4.2 billion and who has earned this money thanks to trading, is unlikely to have a poor grasp of the subject.

The mainstream makes many concepts by heart and does not know what is good and what is bad in what circumstances.

Here some here are looking at a signal where the maximum drawdown is 85% and the average monthly gain is around 125% and don't realise that this is a pretty good strategy.

Why ? Just reduce the lot or total number of trades, let's say 5 times, then it turns out that with 17% max drawdown it will gain an average of 25% profit.

Petros Shatakhtsyan:

The masses do many concepts by heart and do not know what is good and what is bad in what circumstances.

Some people here are looking at a signal where the maximum drawdown is 85% and the average monthly growth is around 125% and don't realise that this is a pretty good strategy.

Why ? Just reduce the lot or total number of trades, let's say 5 times, then it turns out that with a 17% max drawdown it will make an average of 25% profit.

I believe that if the month-end recovery factor is at least 1.0, then that's not bad at all.

Igor Ryapisov:

Great, 3 pairs: USDCHF, AUDNZD, EURGBP, where do we go on each tomorrow?

a) the situation, b) to the wind. Why try to guess what is in the fog.

Moreover, the choice of pairs for "where to go" is far from the best, especially in terms of

In addition the choice of pairs "where to go" is far from good, especially in terms of intraday profitability on these and all other (major) pairs.

Sergei Lanin:

Actually, "The secret of a good strategy is to spend 90% of your time controlling your risks, not your imaginary profits." These are the words of Paul Tudor Jones from the 1987 movie Trader. I think a man whose current fortune is $4.2 billion, and he made that money thanks to trading, is unlikely to have a poor grasp of the subject.

You have to use your brain sometimes...

Such people write books to order and will never tell you their REAL strategy...

Risk control is arithmetic, and a tool for ANY strategy: calculation of lots to open a position, the calculation of partial close a position, the calculation of the size of stops... - an ADDITIONAL TOOL to any strategy, but not the strategy itself...

Совершение сделок - Торговые операции - MetaTrader 5
Совершение сделок - Торговые операции - MetaTrader 5
  • www.metatrader5.com
Торговая деятельность в платформе связана с формированием и отсылкой рыночных и отложенных ордеров для исполнения брокером, а также с управлением текущими позициями путем их модификации или закрытия. Платформа позволяет удобно просматривать торговую историю на счете, настраивать оповещения о событиях на рынке и многое другое. Открытие позиций...

khorosh:

I believe that if the recovery factor is at least 1.0 at the end of the month, that's not bad.

You cannot determine anything with just one recovery factor.

For example, you can work all the time without a stop loss, make large profits with a large drawdown and as soon as you close even one order with a small loss, you will get a very largerecovery factor value.

Petros Shatakhtsyan:

You cannot determine anything with one recovery factor.

For example, you can work all the time without a stop loss, get large profits with a large drawdown and as soon as you close even one order with a small loss, you will get a very large value ofthe recovery factor.

I don't know about MT5, but in MT4 this is not possible. The recovery factor is calculated as the ratio of the net profit to the maximal drawdown. And the maximal drawdown is calculated by Equity.

Igor Ryapisov:

Great, 3 pairs: USDCHF, AUDNZD, EURGBP, where do we go on each tomorrow?

EURGBP going south to 0.8680.

AUDNZD goes north to 1.0620.

USDCHF goes north to 0,9700

khorosh:

I don't know about MT5, but this is not possible in MT4. Because the recovery factor is defined as the ratio of net profit to maximum drawdown.

On MT5 it is also explained that way.

But if I am not mistaken, it is calculated only when the first losing order is closed. We should look at those signals where there is a lossless trade.

It is not that important. I have already said that you can have a very high FS, but you can also lose the entire deposit with great success.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Working strategies

Serqey Nikitin, 2019.01.31 07:14

You have to turn YOUR brains on sometimes though...

Such people write books to order and will never tell their REAL strategy...

And your understanding of the subject is poor, because you do not understand a simple logical chain... Risk control is arithmetic, and is an instrument of ANY strategy: calculation of lots to open positions, calculation of partial closing positions, calculation of stop size... - an ADDITIONAL TOOL of any strategy, but not the strategy itself...

How many years have you been sitting here, have you really learned nothing?

Petros Shatakhtsyan:

On MT5 it's explained that way too.

But if I'm not mistaken, it is only calculated when the first losing order closes. You have to look at those signals where there is a breakeven trade.

It is not that important. I have already said that you can have a very high FS, but you can also lose the entire deposit with great success.

1. You are wrong.

2. You may lose at any values of quality criteria, but these criteria are needed for comparative estimate of different EAs.

Suppose I have developed 2 Expert Advisors. If one of them has higher PV, given the equality of other criteria, I will prefer to trade with this EA.