What is a trend? - page 15

Serqey Nikitin:

Training material for novice traders on the trend detection methodology:

https://www.mql5.com/ru/blogs/post/69

Thanks Sergey, I got it: the Zig-Zag indicator plus the TD 7 indicator.

Victor Ziborov:

Dear gentlemen traders, please tell me if you know how to recognise trend reversal? How do you distinguish a trend reversal from a pullback (from a correction)? How do you do it practically ?

Does it exist ?

Andrew Petras:

Does it exist?

Under certain conditions, yes.

If there were no trends at all, there would be no word trend.)

Some people associate the word trend with the word drain.

To determine when a trend is over, it is enough to draw trend lines.

I understand that it is too late, but agree that it is reliable.

Uladzimir Izerski:

To determine when a trend is over, it is sufficient to draw trend lines.

I realise it's too late, but agree it's reliable.

Trend lines can even be drawn on a "random wander" - but agree that this would not be a "trend".

Maxim Kuznetsov:
You can draw trend lines even on "random wandering" - but agree that this would not be a "trend".

Why not? It will.) It's not like anyone warned us that it's random wandering).

And in general, a trend is a basic direction, a trend, and nothing more than that. I.e., it is a statistical notion and is determined solely by the history of events. And by the way, it is not necessary that the trace max is larger than the previous one (it is rather someone's nonsense). And if statistically, on history, we have no way of knowing where we are at the current moment.

Uladzimir Izerski:

To determine when a trend is over, you just draw trend lines.

I understand it's too late, but agree it's reliable.

Now, if I may, about the second highlighted word.

Victor Ziborov:

... reversal of the trend...

Maxim Kuznetsov:
you can draw trend lines even on "random rambling" - but agree that this will not be a "trend".

You can agree with any nonsense, but you won't draw an up trend line if the trend is down.

Andrew Petras:

Now, if I may, about the second highlighted word.

If you're talking about a trend reversal, it's been classically described for a long time.

Head and shoulders and the like. There's no use looking for a better one.

It's all in plain sight, on the chart. I guarantee that no broker will be able to hide the reversal)))

Oooh...

What a lot of vague thoughts. You should get them together and formulate formal criteria/rules/instructions that define a strict point of trend start, its end and transition of directional trend phase into a flat.

So far, the only formal clue is a binding to a scale (a wave level, if we speak for neo-wavers, and fractals, if we speak for conventional ones).

I.e., coming from the obvious one, namely - a flat is a trend on the mlTF, and a trend is a flat on the stTF (not always, except for impulses from some Brexits), in the sense that everyone can clearly see it (associative perception), but cannot formalize (algorithmize), we can determine whether a trend belongs to a strictly defined TF.

Then, the trend definition will include the TF:

A trend is a directed, non-horizontal movement of price in a certain TF, in which the reversal movement in the opposite direction does not exceed (tra-ta-ta-ta)... what next? Size? Does it not break the previous fractal? What do you think.

Uladzimir Izerski:

If you're talking about a trend reversal, it's been classically described for a long time.

Head and shoulders and the like. There's no use looking for the best.

It's all in plain sight, on the chart. I guarantee that no broker can hide the reversal))).

If there is a trend reversal as you understand it, then your trend is infinite to the right. I.e., the whole movement is a trend changing direction.

Is nothing confusing?