Humour - page 144

What's wrong with the kind of distillation-freezing that's available?

jartmailru:
I like simplicity and reliability.

DmitriyN:
I like simplicity and reliability.
Distillation and freezing have been proven over time.
Since no other recipes have emerged, there are no better options.

DmitriyN: Thanks, but I've already studied all the inorganic and organic chemistry textbooks. The problem is that a small amount of Ca(OH)2 remains in solution (slightly soluble), and this is an alkali, the presence of which is unacceptable in foodstuffs. This hydroxide can be removed by distillation or by the addition of a precipitating agent such as sulphuric acid. However, too much sulphuric acid is also harmful.

What kind of reaction is taking place? If the reaction is known, there is no problem calculating the quantities.

There's a lot more nastiness in the "pilled" vodka, in comparison to which this weak alkali doesn't count.

jartmailru:
Distillation makes it impossible to get alcohol (ethyl alcohol) above 96%. The distillate then has less alcohol than the original solution. I haven't checked whether the liquor strengthens in this process. Paradox.

Mathemat:

What kind of reaction is taking place? If the reaction is known, there is no problem calculating the quantities.
There's a lot more nasty stuff in 'pilled' vodka, by comparison this weak lye doesn't count.

The idea is... you could trivially add an aqueous solution of H2 CO3 to the resulting alcohol...
The only question is how pure the calcium is and how dirty the alcohol solution is
(i.e. everything is clear in the reaction of lime with water and alcohol, but lime +
organics can throw up something interesting).

yosuf:
It is not possible to get an alcohol (ethyl alcohol) above 96% by distillation. The distillate then has less alcohol than the original solution. I have not checked whether the liquor hardens in this process. Paradox.
He doesn't need more than 96. 100% alcohol is an unnecessary exotic.

Mathemat:

What kind of reaction happens? If the reaction is known, there is no problem calculating the quantities. There's a lot more nasty stuff in "pilled" vodka, in comparison to which this weak lye doesn't count.

The reaction of calcium oxide (CaO, quicklime) with water, which is in alcohol. It does not react with alcohol, but with water you get calcium hydroxide. The problem is not theoretical, it is practical: the exact concentration of alcohol is not known, the exact volume is also not known, the content of pure CaO in this lime is also not known. In short, everything is approximate, by eye or it is necessary to make analyses, using expensive equipment.

As correctly noted by Yusuf, this technique allows you to get alcohol with concentration higher than azeotrope mixture, which is not separated by any distillation.
As for the weakness of Ca(OH)2 base, I would not say it is weak. Anyone who has gotten his hands dirty in cement mortar knows what they turn into. One can only guess what will happen to the stomach after that -OH.

There is, however, another way - to apply silica gel. But, no one knows whether it will draw water from alcohol solution and whether it will react with it.

Yes, the question may actually be interesting - but it's the wrong one...
There's the brew.
Distillation separates not so much alcohol and water as
the alcohol solution and all sorts of organics - micro-organisms and the results of their life.

Here's the final formula for the reaction
Alcohol + Water + Mud + CaO = Ca(OH)2 + Alcohol + Mud

jartmailru:
+ organics can throw up something interesting).
What's interesting? All acids like acetic acid will react with CaO, this is good. Their salts also need to be removed somehow, and they are well soluble.