[Archive!] FOREX - Trends, Forecasts and Consequences (Episode 7: September 2011) - page 48

yosuf:

Thank you for your objective appraisal of the work done:

A spherical horse in a vacuum is an expression denoting some kind of ideal concept divorced from real life, in which simplified idealised models are passed off as real practical achievements. (Wikipedia)

I see not everyone here knows this rather old anecdote:

An economist, a mathematician and a physicist have been offered a grant by serious investors to make a model to bet on a totalizator (horse-racing)

The economist says: you have to pull up all the statistics, the general state books, the results of competitions, compare everything carefully to make a sample. Half a million dollars, no less, it's gonna cost.

Mathematician says you have to make a very precise model, measure all the horses' muscles, trajectory, rider's weight. It would cost fifty grand to develop such a model.

And the physicist says, "I'll do it for five...

As they say, I did it, I got the money.

Investors put data into the model, make bets and their horse comes second to last.

How is this possible? -- Investors are indignant, because we have done everything correctly, all the calculations have been done according to the instructions.

No, no, no, the problem is that there are real, live horses at the races, and I made my model based on the assumption that there would be a spherical horse in a vacuum.)

sergeev:
if they don't need transformers, what is the connection between transformer failure and the end of the Mayan calendar ?

One possible scenario for the end of the world is a man-made catastrophe...

The euro is likely to go further down on Monday - bad news on Greece. GDP contraction instead of the expected 3.8% will be more than 5% according to preliminary figures. With the departure of Stark, who was against the buying of Spanish and Italian securities, and the arrival of an Italian as head of the ECB, the scenario from DragonSL seems quite realistic. In addition, a sharp slowdown in industrial production in Germany is expected by the end of the year (according to some institute). How interesting is it that the SNB would then hold the exchange rate of 1.20 francs per euro.

DragonSL:

One possible scenario for the end of the world is a man-made catastrophe...

Only the Mayan calendar and their 2012 year have nothing to do with it!

21april:

Only the Mayan calendar has nothing to do with 2012!

I compared the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar to the peak of magnetic storms in the same period.

If someone in the 12th century had predicted the Hiroshima disaster, he obviously would not have used the phrase "atomic bomb", because such words did not exist then, not to mention the knowledge)))

The funny thing about ancient predictions is that they are described in such words that you don't know where to apply them, they are just guesswork...

If you're wondering why transformers fail: the transformer has alternating current, during a magnetic storm a DC component appears and the transformer overheats -- at worst it burns out, at best it shuts down and after a while there is an avalanche-like shutdown of the entire network.

DragonSL: I compared the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar to the peak of magnetic storms in the same period.
Give the dates in the modern (Gregorian) calendar, then you can google the peaks of solar activity

DragonSL:

I compared the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar to the peak of magnetic storms in the same period.

If someone had predicted the Hiroshima disaster in the 12th century, he obviously would not have used the phrase "atomic bomb", because such words did not exist then, not to mention the knowledge)))

That's the funny thing about ancient predictions: they are described in words that you don't know where to put them, you just have to guess...

I see no connection between the predictions, the Mayan calendar and the catastrophe in 2012, or any other year!

IgorM:
Give the dates in the modern (Gregorian) calendar, then you can google the peaks of solar activity

I'll give you a link to the NASA website:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/sun_darkness.html

No need for NASA, but dates from the Mayan Calendar and the like can be looked at

DragonSL:

Spring was promised 1.36+ and it is 1.36+

In short, the outlook is 1.18+ (by the end of November 99.9% execution)

Checkpoints: 21 Bernanke says QE3 won't happen, then Tricia is retired, in early November the Italians will go into the ECB and start buying their bonds like scared, and the Euro Mafia has given up on the Euro at all, it was mostly held by the French...

Margaret, your comment please...

yes Margot would like to hear))))

for the low she suggested we visit.... now we'd like to ask for a vision of how far we can fall and whether the move to 1.6 is still on track.