[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 610

C-4: This is, after all, two questions wrapped in the same if. This is a milder version of such an interrogation:

Continue to delight others with your masterpieces of logic and assumptions. I don't mind at all, and it will be more fun in the thread.

sergeev:

is solved similarly to

(You are a liar AND X) XOR (You are true AND not X).

i.e. it sets several conditions via AND. by Boolean algebra.

I'm not so sure. I'm sitting here checking it out. I can't figure out if we need to figure out the meaning of yyyy/uuu - or if it's not necessary.

That is, we have three layers of surreal reality at once: he is a liar/righteous, yyyy=yes/yyyy=no, the road is right/the road is wrong.

And there is also a limit of 15 words in the whole judgement.

Mathemat:

And there is also a limit of 15 words in the whole judgement.

I think that's why they introduced it, so that long terms can be written compactly

Mathemat:

Well, C-4 and moskitman in their little circle have already decided that the problem has no solution. That's good, that's good.

Do you know the answer? And it is not based on "inverting the truth" with one YES and one NO?
Show me.

Mathemat:

You're making that up again: no simplification, just a clarification of the term.

I get the impression that somewhere inside the C-4 nickname sits a devil who is constantly forcing its owner to twist any phrase or task. No offence, OK?

Yes, I have that impression myself. For some reason, this forum is the only place that brings me to the point of frothing at the mouth.

Mathemat:
Continue to delight others with your masterpieces of logic and assumptions. I don't mind at all, and it will be more fun in the thread.

Thank you for your warm words of support and such a high appreciation of my undoubtedly outstanding abilities. I promise to please you in the future with my beauty of expression and strongest logical talent!

moskitman:
Do you know the answer? And it is not based on "inverting the truth" with one YES and one NO?
Show me.

Andrew, three people have already shown you the answer - GaryKa, TheXpert and me.

The simplest is your namesake's answer: "What would someone like that say if I asked him if he had a telly? The same person is a liar if you are a liar, and a truth-teller if you are a truth-teller.

And another variant:

GaryKa: How about this question: "(Are you a liar and you don't have a coloured telly) or (Are you a truth-teller and you have a coloured telly)?"

My variant is almost the same, but it contains XOR instead of OR. Both are equivalent in this case.

No need to wisecrack about inverting the truth, just apply the laws of logic.

Mathemat: Немой стражник

... The guard, when saying "yes" and "no", pronounces them as "woo" and "yoo", but which one means "yes" and which one means "no" is unknown. The warder cannot pronounce any other sounds and, besides, he cannot show the direction with a gesture (perhaps he is armless as well :-)).

Can we say that when the sentinel is silent, he doesn't know a clear answer "yes" or "no" ?

GaryKa: Is it possible to say that when the gatekeeper is silent, he doesn't know a clear yes or no answer?

You can't do that. The condition is written in the last sentence:

You can only ask one question and only one that the guard is able to answer.

The answer to the mute gatekeeper

You have to ask this question: is "woo" a "yes" and the road to the house on the right or are you a liar and "woo" is a "no"?

P.S. No, I'm wrong, it's not.