[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 358

On my bookshelf there are two volumes of Pushkin next to each other: the first and the second. The pages of each volume have a combined thickness of 2 cm, and each cover is 2 mm. A worm gnawed (perpendicular to the pages) its way from the first page of the first volume to the last page of the second volume.

Question: which way did it chew?

About it, V.I. Arnold said: "this topological problem with an improbable answer is completely inaccessible to academics, but some preschoolers can easily cope with it".

NTH, your question is completely incorrect - not in the sense that I am judging you, but in the sense that I don't understand at all what you want to learn and for what purpose.

Mathemat писал(а) >>

You have to give an answer that will satisfy the HR manager at Microsoft Corp. Your answer is unlikely to satisfy.

I'm not going to apply for a job there. And if an employer had asked me such a question when I was hired, I would have told him to fuck off and left.
You have to see how effectively a person works, and "optics" has nothing to do with it.

They don't let just anyone into Melkosoft. They only hire thinking people. The balloons and a skyscraper is a thinking test. It's all about seeing how the applicant thinks. If he can think effectively as a programmer, he will think just as effectively when solving the optics problem.

NTH писал(а) >>

How can you characterise a price chart? Any graph has a f-function, so when dealing with a price graph here what: a floating f-function, a binary? What is the scientific name for it?

Mathemat, you're going to get scolded now, you can't discuss it here. >> I join the question.

Why should I swear. It all depends on the representation of price and the scale of consideration.
If it's a tick chart, it's a function. If it's a bar chart, what kind of function is it?

Mathemat >>:
На книжной полке рядом стоят два тома Пушкина: первый и второй. Страницы каждого тома имеют суммарную толщину 2 см, а каждая обложка – 2 мм. Червь прогрыз (перпендикулярно страницам) путь от первой страницы первого тома до последней страницы второго тома.

Вопрос: какой путь он прогрыз?

Hee hee hee :)))

Mathemat писал(а) >>
They don't let just anybody into Melcosoft. They only hire thinking people. The balloons and the skyscraper is one of those thinking tests. The key is to see how the applicant thinks. If he can think effectively as a programmer, he will think just as effectively when solving the optics problem.

I understand. But, is it not better to look at the result of work of the applicant. Let him bring programs written by him. Agree that there is, figuratively speaking, a big difference between a chess player and a trader.

Mathemat писал(а) >>
On a bookshelf there are two volumes of Pushkin next to each other: the first and the second. The pages of each volume have a combined thickness of 2 cm and each cover is 2 mm. A worm chewed (perpendicular to the pages) the way from the first page of the first volume to the last page of the second volume.

Question: which way did he chew?

42mm.

Suppose there is a graph, we can describe it with a function. A price chart is also a graph, but we cannot describe it with a constant function. Is there a term to "call" such a graph? (funny question:) )

NTH писал(а) >>

Suppose there is a graph, we can describe it with a function. A price chart is also a graph, but we cannot describe it with a constant function. Is there a term to "call" such a graph? (funny question :) )

Unsteady.