[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 133

Mathemat писал(а) >>

The distance equals twice the radius and it's fixed in the formula, you've seen it. How does it not depend on it?

It doesn't have to be the diameter. The path may not pass through the centre of the Earth. Let the distance be not 12.8 thousand km, but 7 thousand km, then the time will be similar.

Richie >>:

Не обязательно диаметру. Путь может и не проходить через центр Земли. Пусть расстояние будет не 12,8 тыс.км, а 7 тыс.км., то время будет аналогичное.

How is that interesting and how does it fit with the "roughly on the opposite side" condition? Can I have a picture?

Yeah, I remember that from my childhood. Only then the bricks would bump against the walls. OK, we can assume they are mirrored and there is no friction.

Alsu, the hole may connect Moscow and Vorkuta directly, but the timing will still be the same. The reason is that the pebble will not fly towards the centre of the Earth, but will slide "along the guide".

alsu >>:

Это как так интересно и как согласуется с условием "примерно на противоположной стороне"? Можно с рисунком?

This is no longer on the opposite side

On the surface 9.8

At halfway 0

The formula for the change from surface to halfway is the same in both cases

Mathemat >>:

Ну да, это я помню еще с детства. Только тогда кирпич будет соударяться со стенками. Ладно, можно считать, что они зеркальные, а трения никакого нет.

alsu, отверстие может соединять напрямую Москву и Воркуту, но время все равно будет таким же.

alsu >>:
Если все же учесть трение об воздух и стенки и принять его, скажем, пропорциональным скорости, то получим еще один член в нашем дифуре, из-за чего кирпич не долетит до противоположного конца, а будет совершать затухающие колебания вокруг центра планеты, и в пределе зависнет там на веки вечные:)

... and the energy of motion of the brick, equal (if its mass=1kg) to about 1/2*m*g0*R = 30.9 megajoules, would be used to heat the rock and aggravate global warming. For reference, this amount of heat can convert approximately 13.75 litres of boiling water into steam :)))

Mathemat >>:

alsu, отверстие может соединять напрямую Москву и Воркуту,

Better than Sochi

I read some populariser of science (maybe Perelman), but there were no diphunks there. But the independence itself struck me at the time.

In principle it is possible to solve the diphurk as well - taking into account that the hole can be tilted.

Mathemat >>:

Читал какого-то популяризатора науки (может, и Перельмана), но дифурок там не было. Но сама независимость меня тогда поразила.

В принципе можно решить и дифурку - с учетом того, что дырка может быть наклонной.

it turns out that even with friction, the metro is more energy efficient than travelling on the surface :))))) I wonder what the Moscow metro management would say to that when they raise fares again :))))

But Richie has something else in store for an appetiser in this task...