Failed forex strategies, opinions and reasoning. - page 3

Lilita Bogachkova:

What do you mean by "mathematical grails"?

A list of conditions for the next trade, in the event of a previous failure. This is usually supplemented by an increase in the lot.

I think this is self-defeating. If the signal to open a trade is defined correctly, then even if the current trade closes at a loss, the overall statistics will pull the strategy to the plus.

If you add a lot increase to this profitable strategy, there is a very decent chance of killing it all off with a series of negative trades.

Oleg Tsarkov:

A list of conditions for the next trade, in the event of a previous failure. This is usually supplemented by an increase in the lot.

I think this is self-defeating. If the signal to open a trade is defined correctly, even if the current trade closes at a loss, the overall statistics will pull the strategy to the plus.

If you add a lot increase to this profitable strategy, there is a very decent chance of killing it all off with a series of negative trades.

Great, your opinion five years ago would have been very helpful to me. But I think for many people it's still a hot topic at the moment.

Oleg Tsarkov:

failure can be for two reasons:

one - non-compliance with the MM

second - a large number of trades, the deposit is eaten up by the spread and commissions.

1. How can an Expert Advisor not comply with the MM? Or do you mean that the developer has tested the bot, ran the risk and knowingly calculated the lot wrong for running it?

2. I read this sentence several times. Still don't understand what the author is under. If your profit from a trade is less than the spread and commission. And the total number of trades does not withdraw the balance in profit. Then the strategy is losing and it doesn't matter how many trades it opens.

Anton Zverev:

2. Read this sentence several times. Still don't understand what the author is under. If your profit on a trade is less than the spread and commission. And the total number of trades does not bring the balance to profit. Then the strategy is losing and it does not matter how many trades it opens.

There is a trading style where after reaching TP the next one opens and so on. In this case one has to pay the spread excessively many times.
But maybe the author meant something else.

Lilita Bogachkova:
My disappointment: Martingale averaging. When I tried forex trading for the first time in 2011 this strategy seemed to be the most attractive, but turned out to be the most destructive for the deposit.

Martingale is just a method. Averaging in capable hands is a very profitable and quite long-lasting tool)

Anton Zverev:

Martingale is just a method. Averaging in the right hands is a very profitable and long-lasting tool)

Tell us more about the difference between smart hands and mediocre hands in the application of averaging?

Lilita Bogachkova:
Tell me more, what is the difference between smart hands and mediocre hands in applying averaging?
In that the former are profitable and the latter are not.

Anton Zverev:
That the former are profitable and the latter are not.
Well not so trivial, you yourself say 'quite a long term tool' so even the profitable ones die, let alone the others, I think this shows quite a lot of risk in the application of averaging.

Lilita Bogachkova:
My disappointment: martingale averaging. When I tried forex trading for the first time in 2011, this strategy seemed to be the most attractive, but turned out to be the most destructive for the deposit.
In divorce proceedings, the parties often use this formulation of the reason for the dissolution of the marriage: "they did not agree in character"...

Vladimir Suschenko:
In divorce proceedings, the parties often use this formulation of the reason for ending the marriage: "they did not agree in character"...
so to speak, did not live up to expectations ))