Algorithm Optimisation Championship. - page 32

Реter Konow:

Not really. My research was for my own sake. By voicing something, arguing with someone, we waste time and energy. But do we grow from it? I think it depends on the audience we're talking to. Being busy doing my research, I needed to grow, not fight other people's misunderstandings.

Logic cannot be opposed. If a scientist is a friend of logic, he is not afraid of any refutation.

That's what I thought.

PS.... Personal growth and all that... that's all well and good, but it's of no use to society. Theories, at least, should be voiced, otherwise there is no use for them, they will remain fantasies forever and no more than that. Of course, it is still possible to be of use to society in the form of increasing the number of mankind by one's own contribution, so to speak, but whether such "multipliers" are needed by mankind is a big question.

Andrey Dik:
That's what I thought.
What do you mean by that?

Реter Konow:
What do you mean?
Well, I finished it there above. Don't take it personally. It's just a statement, not a theory.

Andrey Dik:

That's what I thought.

PS.... Personal growth and all that... that's all well and good, but it's of no use to society. The theories, at least, should be voiced, otherwise they are useless, they will remain forever fantasies and nothing more. Of course, it is still possible to be of use to society in the form of increasing the number of mankind by one's own contribution, so to speak, but whether such "multiplicators" are necessary for mankind is a big question.

And what the use for society from enormous amount of pseudoscientific theories, which pseudoscientists push in mass media?

What use is the huge amount of pseudoscientific, but thus popular literature sold in millions circulations?

The pseudoscientific theory hastily exposed for review by laymen cannot be of any use for society.

A true scientist does not seek popularity. He is concerned about science, not public benefit.

Public benefit is the concern of politicians and patrons.

A scientist will not make a show out of his discoveries.

Реter Konow:

What good is society to be served by the huge amount of pseudoscientific theories that pseudoscientists push in the mass media?

What use is the huge amount of pseudoscientific but popular literature sold in millions of copies?

The pseudoscientific theory hastily exposed on an overview of common people cannot bring any use for a society.

A real scientist is not interested in being popular. He cares about science, not public benefit.

Public benefit is the concern of politicians and philanthropists.

It's all mixed up, horses, people... What's the show got to do with it?!

I'm asking you, what have you done for society? - besides breeding, planting a tree, and crossing a grandmother's path. That's all very well and karma enhancing, but globally of little value. It's much more productive to create, develop, show to people, develop a theory and prove it, or disprove it and share the results. Not to gain fame, but to share experiences.

What did I do? In technical school I developed a unique experimental stand for conducting experiments on the subject of friction. At the institute I was of little use, because I broke my hip and studied my speciality by correspondence. At the enterprise I developed and implemented a method and procedure for strength calculations with the reduction of field tests to a minimum.

When for some time I worked as a foreman at the same plant, I developed mechanized racks for tooling (they were implemented in production)... The chief technologist once asked me "do you need all that? and it all works the same way!" - I couldn't think of anything to say to the man, respecting his age...

Somewhere on the 4chan forum there's my Theory of Flowing Patterns... May my theories be erroneous in some places and useless in others, but they are presented out loud, which means that people will read them, see them, draw conclusions (whether useful or useless), but in any case, there is a benefit in that they begin to think!

There is no use in saying "We live in a 3-dimensional world, and basta!

If you have managed to benefit society, you have done well. Whether I will benefit society, I don't know... I am not a public figure. That's a ridiculous question...

Andrey Dik:

It's all mixed up, horses, people... What's that got to do with the show?!

I'm asking you, what have you done for society? - besides breeding, planting a tree, and crossing your grandmother's path. That's all very well and karma enhancing, but globally of little value. It's much more productive to create, develop, show to people, develop a theory and prove it, or disprove it and share the results. Not to gain fame, but to share experiences.

There's a childish saying for nerds and braggarts (don't take it personally, it's just a suggestion -- but it may be helpful to learn something new and even useful): "I am, yes, I am -- the butt of the boogeyman."

My point is this. There is a good old Soviet movie. Here's the plot. There's a meeting of classmates, everybody gathers and tells about themselves, what they've achieved, what they've done that's useful for society. And one classmate says, "I'm a mother". And people start snickering, you know, we're all mommies and daddies here. And this mum turned out to have 12 kids -- she's a heroic mother.

So don't narcissistically point your finger at your chest and tell me that raising children -- as you cleverly put it "multiply" -- is of little value to you.

Sorry to interfere with your productive championship discussion -- but for many pages now there has been a free-flowing discussion of topics that are far removed from the championship. That's nothing more than a rejoinder from me, you can leave it at that.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

There's a childish saying meant for nerds and braggarts (don't take it personally, it's just a suggestion -- but it might help you learn something new and even do you some good): "I am, yes, I am -- the butt of the boogeyman."

My point is this. There is a good old Soviet movie. Here's the plot. There's a meeting of classmates, everybody gathers and tells about themselves, what they've achieved, what they've done that's useful for society. And one classmate says, "I'm a mother". And people start snickering, you know, like we're all mums and dads here. And this mum turned out to have 12 kids -- she's a heroic mother.

So don't narcissistically point your finger at your chest and tell me that raising children -- as you cleverly put it "multiply" -- is of little value to you.

Sorry to interfere with your productive championship discussion -- but for many pages now there has been a free-flowing discussion of topics that are far removed from the championship. That's nothing more than a rejoinder from me, you can leave it at that.

Are you really a heroin dad?

Реter Konow:
If you have managed to be of use to society, good for you. Whether I am useful to society, I don't know... I am not a public figure. That's a ridiculous question...

I'm still a long way from being "good"...

And you will be of real benefit to people if you develop an optimization algorithm that outperforms your competitors' championship counterparts. Even if you don't show the code, you will create an impetus for development in society in search theory.

I have expressed here my views on the problem of searching for the optimum, connect with me. If you refute something, put forward something in return, or announce facts that refute someone's theories or ideas in some particular nuances. This is the difference between useful criticism and useless criticism.

OK, I'll propose my version tomorrow and you tell me your opinion. I'm tired today.