What do you think of the gold joke? - page 4

Urain:

I am still wondering what is the value of gold?

You cannot spread it on bread, it is a good conductor, but it is not so different in price from copper, it does not rust, but steel alloyed with additives does not rust either.

What is the point? Maybe it is true that some aliens for the gold will give you a badge for the right to rule the planet :)

Maybe the ancients knew something about its special properties that we don't?

That's ancient history... )

ZS: the world is run by goblins and they are known to love gold.

ZZZ: No, not like that, people enslaved goblins (most of them killed a few left) and made them fulfill their desires for the gold.

Urain:

I am still wondering what is the value of gold?

You cannot spread it on bread, it is a good conductor, but it is not so different in price from copper, it does not rust, but steel alloyed with additives does not rust either.

What is the point? Maybe it is true that some aliens for the gold will give you a badge for the right to rule the planet :)

Maybe the ancients knew something about its special properties that we do not know.

Alternate history. Excluding gold. What do we have?

ps even without the esoteric (ancients).

Urain: I still wonder why gold is so valuable.

1. roughly nothing :)

2. Sometimes it has the same value as all bubbles - it can be used to throw the "unsophisticated", a historical example of how this is done is given by the example of working with volumes and silver in Tom Williams' book "Market Masters", in the very beginning of the book.

3. I remember, I once sat in a bank on my business, and next to me was sitting a certain citizen, obviously not very wealthy and, apparently, not very smart, joyfully and loudly announced that he wanted to buy a bullion ... because they said on TV that gold is only going to get more expensive and we need to diversify ... then gold dropped from 2K USD to 1200... anyway, i felt a little sorry for the poor guy, but not too much :)

there's all this Bretton Woods stuff and stuff... But those who use such arguments usually do not have the imagination to answer questions:

- what if we switch to gold, will we carry sacks around our belts?

- what caused the great depression in u.s. and how to lend development if all the gold is in the hands of a couple of rockefellers :)

IMHO - the future is :

- Self-regulating electronic money, e.g. bitcoins

- or "credits", we do not even need to change the current financial system, just introduce the concept of a negative balance, whoever has a negative balance is richer ... this is more realistic because the powerful will not want anything self-regulating

artemiusgreat:

3. I remember sitting in a bank one day on my own business and next to me sat a certain citizen, obviously not particularly wealthy and apparently not very smart, joyfully and loudly announcing that he wanted to buy some bullion ... because they said on TV that gold will only get more expensive and should diversify ... then gold dropped from 2K USD to 1200... anyway, i felt a little sorry for the poor guy, but not too much :)

Did he buy it with rubles or dollars? )

sanyooooook:
Was he buying with roubles or dollars? )
For hryvnias :)

artemiusgreat:
for hryvnias :)
He was talking about diversification ))

sanyooooook:
Well that's right partly in quid partly in gold, he was talking about diversification ))
from the looks of it i'd say he had to choose ...

artemiusgreat:
From the looks of it, I'd say he had to choose...
Still, better gold than hryvnia.

sanyooooook:
better gold than hryvnia

well, so far they are about the same, only liquidity and convertibility of any paper is clearly better than that of a piece of metal ...

for example, are there people who have tried to buy/sell gold physically and what was the "profit" from it and where, apart from a pawnshop, it was accepted?

artemiusgreat:

well, so far about the same, only the liquidity and convertibility of any paper is clearly better than that of a piece of metal ...

for example, is there anyone who has tried to buy/sell gold physically, what was the "profit" from it and where, apart from the pawnshop, has it been accepted?

one would not ask such a question who is a pawnbroker himself )

SZS: Since 2008 I gave it to my wife for her birthday, she is pleased and I am an investment, may not be safe but it's better than a pot ))