Interesting topic for many: what's new in MetaTrader 4 and MQL4 - big changes on the way - page 5

Urain:

Then it's time to introduce exceptions so that one code could be compiled for both mql4 and mql5.

It seems to me that it is not realistic, at least, as far as MQL5 -> MQL4 are concerned.

In MQL4, how do you want to understand all the moments related to OOP?

Backwards compatibility is easier, of course, but different ideology regarding position also introduces limitations in backwards compatibility.

It seems to me that the right step is to have a universal terminal that understands both languages, but the languages themselves remain incompatible. The only thing left to do is to make such terminals available to DCs.

Renat:
Unfortunately, no. The tester will remain single-threaded and without MQL5 Cloud Network.
The absence of the cloud can still be accepted (in exchange for the possibility to test on your own quotes), but the multi-threading would be much better. After all, the era of multicore has already arrived.

Renat:
Unfortunately, no. The tester will remain single threaded and without MQL5 Cloud Network.

I mean if MQL4 codes will be executed in MT5, then MQL4 Expert Advisors can be tested in the tester of MT5 and therefore they can be optimized.

If not, then what compatibility we are talking about?

dimeon:

Will the server side of MT4 brokers also technically change much? The idea is good, but we will be catching bugs on the already established MT4 for another half year.

If so, the clients of various brokerage companies will lose much money. Who will they complain to then? A broker or Metakvots?

No, practically nothing will change on the servers, except for the packing of trade transactions into the main thread (that's mizzer).

This upgrade is for the client terminals.

dimeon:

I mean if MQL4 codes will be executed in MT5, then MQL4 Expert Advisors can be tested in the tester of MT5 and therefore they can be optimized.

If not, then what compatibility we are talking about?

We are talking about the full compatibility of old programs written in mql4 with the new mql4++ (aka mql5).

Do not confuse programming language and trading platform.

Laryx:

It seems unreal to me, at least as far as MQL5 -> MQL4 are concerned.

How do you want to understand all the OOP related things in MQL4 ?

Backwards compatibility is easier, of course, but different ideology regarding position also introduces limitations in backwards compatibility.

It seems to me that the right step is to have a universal terminal, which understands both languages, but the languages themselves remain incompatible. The only thing left to do is to make such terminals available to DCs.

All the OOP is now available in MQL4 without any limitations. That's the best part.

We will raise the functionality of MQL4 entirely to the level of MQL5, only disabling some functions like OpenCL.

Документация по MQL5: Основы языка / Функции
Документация по MQL5: Основы языка / Функции
  • www.mql5.com
Основы языка / Функции - Документация по MQL5

MetaDriver:
The lack of cludes can still be tolerated (in exchange for the ability to test on your own quotes), but multithreading would be very desirable. The multicore era has already arrived, after all.

I agree.

Renat:

All OOP is now available in MQL4 with no restrictions. This is also the most delicious thing.

We have raised the functionality of MQL4 language completely to the level of MQL5, disabling only some OpenCL functions.

I meant the exceptions related to the specificity, such as mql4 accesses data this way and mql5 accesses data this way. If compiling a version for MT5, it excludes one, if for MT4 - another.

Then it is possible to write a code that will work in both versions.

This will fulfil the dream of writing an EA, running it in Cloud, and then recompile it for MT4 and send it for real trading.

Urain:

I meant exceptions related to specifics, such as mql4 accesses data in such a way, and in mql5 so if you compile a version for MT5, it excludes one, if for MT4 - another.

Then it is quite feasible to write a code that will work in both versions.

This will fulfil the dream of writing an EA, running it in Cloud, and then recompile it for MT4 and send it for real trading.

Ice......... to run in Cloud multicurrency.......

Renat:

No, almost nothing will change on the servers, apart from packing the trade transactions into the main thread (that's a mise en scène).

This upgrade is for the client terminals.

One would hope that after such changes, brokers will be quicker to implement the MT5 platform than to abandon it altogether!