Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 86

mladen:
Yellow warning are mostly benign (but sometimes they can cause serious problems) Red errors are preventing the compiler from producing the ex4 file and those are always the first that need to be solved

in the end i just used the saved indi's that had nt been compiled and tested for errors on the New editor, they still seem to be working, the Zlag line and a few others also have many red errors and seem happy enough for now

i would like them fixed just incase of bad trading signals, but with all the MT4 coders around the world probably busy enough with all the other more important MT4 problems, the errors can wait for a while,

just hope it does n't mean some bad trades, but will monitor the old and new MT4s and see what differences there are for a few wks

it will be interesting to see what happens and around the forums on the 1st of February when everyone gets the upgrade pushed on them

maybe yourself and the other top coders should take a wk off at the beginning of February and let Metaquotes fix there own mess

i hear Davos is nice this time of yr

have a good weekend

The latest build 577 deletes all the input strings on start up so indicators such as Dolly which has a string based Password does not reload until the input window is reset.

Files:

Waiting for February the 1st. It will be the hottest circus in town

cja:
The latest build 577 deletes all the input strings on start up so indicators such as Dolly which has a string based Password does not reload until the input window is reset.

Man this error is incredible. They had a similar error already and now it resurfaces again. It seems that they are having major problems with strings. And it seems that we are going in the same way as it is going with metatrader 5 for years : a bug gets fixed, then after some updates it comes back, then it gets fixed, then it resurfaces, ....... One will never know what will work and what won't

There never will be an end of this kind of metatrader now. They have entered a process in which bugs are going to be normal not an exception. And serious bugs - not just any bugs

mladen:
Man this error is incredible. They had a similar error already and now it resurfaces again. It seems that they are having major problems with strings. And it seems that we are going in the same way as it is going with metatrader 5 for years : a bug gets fixed, then after some updates it comes back, then it gets fixed, then it resurfaces, ....... One will never know what will work and what won't

It sounds like they do not and never had adequate version control. Probably old code is creeping back into the main stream undetected. Do they do any regression testing?

This string problem is "incredible" is too mild of a description! Strings and character variable inputs are a basic part of any interpreter or compiled language. Without them, we have only a half baked rudimentary language. I have dozens of indicators which use comma delimited strings for multiple inputs so I guess I know what I will be doing next week and it isn't trading.

3rd of February now (apparently)

maybe we should just pencil it in and expect the end of February or March...

I agree with it

Usually people are not aware of that. Some things that are so basic that you can not get more basic than that are not working in the new metatrader 4. Now, if such basic things do not work OK, how will more complicated stuff (that usually leans on the basic stuff - which in this case does not work OK) how will it work OK?

Job that is done so far on a new metatrader is thus too hasty and with too many assumptions (like "we are going to solve it on when it starts") and the results is something anything but reliable and trustworthy

WR1:
3rd of February now (apparently) maybe we should just pencil it in and expect the end of February or March...

There is some confusion there. Some (some moderators) are saying February the 1st (Saturday), some are saying the 3rd (Monday). Either way, they are planed to start our trading week. Anyway, we shall see

What we can expect is more complaints since only now people will see that the transition will not be easy at all

Does not matter when will it start : it will be one hell of a roller coaster