Profit Generator EA - page 70

Holyguy, I totally agree that different pairs can benefit from different settings. I have been backtesting an "outside the box" group of settings for the majors that I may foward test because it looks promising. They are:

TP=200

SL=50

Obsolete=True

Obsolete time=1 minute

MA filter=true

MA pips= -20

bad trades=2 (don't think it did anything with this group of settings)

The funny thing was, with the GBP when I used TS activation of 50 with a TS of 10 it increased profits but with the EUR and CHF, using any TS really hurt the profits.

This backtests pretty good for my trading style. I think I'll let it run for a couple of weeks.

New version question

Nich,

With the latest version of the EA, if we get a conflicting trade does it prevent the trade or force it to open in the opposite direction. Which pair did you pick to lead direction if the latter = true?

novafx99:
Holyguy, I totally agree that different pairs can benefit from different settings. I have been backtesting an "outside the box" group of settings for the majors that I may foward test because it looks promising. They are:

TP=200

SL=50

Obsolete=True

Obsolete time=1 minute

MA filter=true

MA pips= -20

The funny thing was, with the GBP when I used TS activation of 50 with a TS of 10 it increased profits but with the EUR and CHF, using any TS really hurt the profits.

This backtests pretty good for my trading style. I think I'll let it run for a couple of weeks.

What is the time frame? 1h or 4h?

Thanks

Fast_cris

Sorry about that

Fast_cris:
What is the time frame? 1h or 4h?

Thanks

Fast_cris

It's one the 1 HR.

novafx99:

TP=200

SL=50

Obsolete=True

Obsolete time=1 minute

MA filter=true

MA pips= -20

Novafx99,

Thanks for all the work you have been doing. Could you give us all general perameters on what has been somewhat successful for you? It could give all of us a general direction to look for to find successes.

Thanks

Not much success here

Holyguy,

It's your system and you have chosen a direction for it. I feel that finding exact settings for pairs is going to lead to running in circles. This week the dollar has been in a serious tailspin. While this isn't a trending system in any respect, I see from the trades it's making that it constantly loses ground because of the underlying trend. As the market changes, I think these settings are always going to start failing, probably pretty fast. However, there has been hopeful showing with the scalping. Unfortunately, most folks don't want their main system to be a scalper.

I am obviously intrigued with the whole thing. My focus has been on what type of rules could be implemented to allow these entries to take a longer run without taking a beating on the mini trend moves. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer so I can't try my ideas out or I would.

I will have a week long statement to post this weekend but right now, it's beginning to lose ground. those settings you quoted above will be tested by me for at least a week, maybe more if the first week doesn't prove to be a big loser.

You know, we need better backtesting capabilities for this EA. This whole forum needs better backtesting capabilities. I see there are many great ideas here but because metatrader backtesting is so poor, these systems never get the proper preliminary development, then the people involved get discouraged by the vast differences from backtesting to foward. So much sincere effort and almost no progress for automation across the whole of the forum. Hopefully, this problem will get addressed so that all these great ideas can get the chance they deserve.

USDCAD still LOOKING GOOD

Nich's Scalper Stategy using Profit Generator seems to really be working great for the USDCAD currency pair. We got some losses overnight, but that is to be expected.

It also appears to work (but not as well) with the EURGBP. With that one, I reduced the Stoploss down to 15 because there were only two losses on the EURGBP but they hurt profitability (especially when you are only going for 5-7 pips at a time).

UPDATE:

Here are the latest statements for the USDCAD with and without Obsolete Method (set to 10).

Personally I think the best suggestion so far in order to improve this EA has been marrying PG with pivots. Unfortuneately I have not studied codeguru's course on programming or I would start playing around with it. I guess it's never to late to start studying but I keep balking at beginning the course.

novafx99:
You know, we need better backtesting capabilities for this EA. This whole forum needs better backtesting capabilities. I see there are many great ideas here but because metatrader backtesting is so poor, these systems never get the proper preliminary development, then the people involved get discouraged by the vast differences from backtesting to foward. So much sincere effort and almost no progress for automation across the whole of the forum. Hopefully, this problem will get addressed so that all these great ideas can get the chance they deserve.

Well said Nova. Very true. So many of us have been backtesting settings, and even with 90% modelling quality, there are huge differences when one forward tests the settings. The backtests have proven to be useless. And what are we left with? We are left trying to guess at settings that we think would be or should be profitable and simply trying to forward test almost at random. It's frustrating, and you're right, it stifles the development of automated strategies. I guess we just have to keep at it.

Eric:
Well said Nova. Very true. So many of us have been backtesting settings, and even with 90% modelling quality, there are huge differences when one forward tests the settings. The backtests have proven to be useless. And what are we left with? We are left trying to guess at settings that we think would be or should be profitable and simply trying to forward test almost at random. It's frustrating, and you're right, it stifles the development of automated strategies. I guess we just have to keep at it.

Anybody knows someone who could code this EA into tradestation?

I have asked nicholishen but he said that tradestation easylanguage is not his forte.

Sada