Discussing the article: "Master MQL5 from beginner to pro (Part I): Getting started with programming" - page 3

Oleh Fedorov #:
Alexei, why do you want to know? It's hard to call you a beginner... Well, at least for me :-))

Thank you, but I'm self-taught, strangely enough. So it wouldn't hurt me either. That's why I decided to do some reading...

Here's the first observation

Table 1. Comparison of capabilities of the main types of MQL5 programmes.

They work as long as the chart window is open no yes yes no

I don't think this is the right way to put it. After all, it can be understood as the chart window is active....

Thank you very much for that phrase.

But otherwise, our creativity is almost unlimited.

It's very important for a beginner to understand this. You just have to read the documentation and look for a way to solve your fantasy...

Second remark

The words #property , copyright , link , version , void ,OnStart, Print are predefined in this code. Try to click on any of them in MetaEditor and press<F1> to call the built-in help.

Can OnStart and Print be called words on a par with copyright,link,version? I think it may confuse a beginner in programming. But OnStart and Print are functions. And OnStart is a function of event processing.

My verdict: The article is of high quality and useful for beginners.

Alexey Viktorov #:

Thanks, but I'm kind of self-taught. So it wouldn't hurt me either. So I thought I'd do some reading...

Thank you.

Here's the first point.

I don't think it's quite right. After all, it can be understood as the active window of the chart...

I thought that mentioning that services do not belong to the chart in principle, but to the whole terminal, removes this problem... Perhaps I am wrong.

Thank you very much for this phrase

It is very important for a beginner to understand it. You just have to read the documentation and find a way to solve your fantasy...

Cheers :-)

Second remark

Can OnStart and Print be called words like copyright,link,version? I think it may confuse a beginner in programming. OnStart and Print are functions. And OnStart is a function of event processing.

In this context , I think you can... Because <F1> will call the help for either of them.

OnStart and Print are predefined functions, in fact, a part of the language, without which it would be very different. After all, all the basic operators in MQL5 are very similar to C++, but the language is quite different for me...

And so, if you sort it out, there is a whole bunch of word types: preprocessor directives, property names and their values, function descriptions and their calls, and even data type description.... In terms of meaning, of course, all these are different pieces of the mosaic, you are absolutely right.

My verdict: The article is of high quality and useful for beginners.

Senkaiu.

Oleh Fedorov #:

Thank you.

I thought that mentioning that the services don't belong to the graph in principle, but to the whole terminal, removes this problem... I may be wrong.

This table contains not only services, but also indicators and Expert Advisors. Although, I cannot formulate it differently, so let it be as it is until someone suggests a more acceptable expression....

MrBrooklin #:

Please get to the structures and lay it all out. This is also a very interesting and important topic! The main thing in the series of articles is that all training material, taking into account its degree of complexity, should be dosed, smoothly and progressively.

Obligatory.

In my previous post I meant that in my next article I don't know if I will capture this material. In terms of meaning, it resonates more with classes for me.

It's just that the series is quite long, I want to do at least seven articles to cover as many important topics as possible. Maybe more, if the material requires it and the moderator allows it. :-)

What else would be interesting for a beginner, based on my personal experience of self-study:

1. passing arguments to a function, including by reference;
  2. arrays;
  3. files;
  4. drawing graphical objects;
  5. access to timeseries and indicator data;
  6. OnTradeTransaction function.

Thank you.

Perhaps, all of the above is the necessary minimum of educational material that allows you to create the simplest Expert Advisors without indicators. At least, this minimum is enough for me for now.

Well, in my opinion, beginners need indicators too. And events are a good thing. And many other things.

In general, beginners, stay on the line. :-)

But thanks to the experienced developers for their opinion too. I'm glad you found the material useful.

I liked the article. It would be great if there was an opportunity to discuss with the author the difficulties that arise and solve them. I intend to continue learning from the articles in this series.

Aleksandr Shirin #:
I liked the article. It would be great if there was an opportunity to discuss with the author the difficulties that arise and solve them. I intend to continue to study the articles from this series.
There is an opportunity. I am usually in touch - in Russian and English comments, or in private messages.....

Thankyou Alexey for putting together some basic MQ programming and training. As a newbie, and have some basic understanding of programming and I wanted to delve more into EA but never really had the time (as a trader with a full time job) to get into it. That was 20 Years ago. Hello GTP4. Talking to and discussing concepts of trading and now the construction of EA's quite easily, I wanted to know what the AI is generating. I cant come close to the complexity or the speed at which it works, but its nice to know what the heck is going on - Thankyou!

gmurphygmcs #:
Thanks Alexei for putting together the basics of MQ programming and training. As a beginner, I have some basic understanding of programming and wanted to delve deeper into EAs but never had the time (as a full time trader) to pursue it. That was 20 years ago. Hello GTP4. Having communicated and discussed the concepts of trading and now building EAs, I wanted to know what the AI generates. I can't come close to the complexity or speed at which it works, but it's nice to know what the heck is going on - Thanks!
GTP4 generates mostly MQL4 code. We need to learn it MQL5, and that's not a fact that it will remember the learning after a few posts.
Reason: