How can I retrieve specific mt4 indicator data using python api - page 2

Carl Schreiber #:
Does Google still performs image searches? Let it search for the image you indicator creates. I guess there are similar indicators.

Tried that, unfortunately nothing came up

Fernando Carreiro #:

Yes, by using the iCustom function. Even without documentation you can see which values are supplied for which buffers by observing the output in Data Window.

You can also hire someone to do that research for you or to develop the MQL4 EA.

Ok, so just to be clear, that is possible in MT5 python package, but it would need to be developed for MT4?

M Ibrahim #: Ok, so just to be clear, that is possible in MT5 python package, but it would need to be developed for MT4?

iCustom() is an MQL function, not Python. And if it is a MT4 indicator, it can only be used on MetaTrader 4, not on 5.

Fernando Carreiro #:

iCustom() is an MQL function, not Python. And if it is a MT4 indicator, it can only be used on MetaTrader 4, not on 5.

Yes I understand, but to me it doesn't matter where the indicator is used, I simply want to extract it's information even though it is on MT4. I was asking if it is possible because you said icustom is only compatible with MT5. 

M Ibrahim #: Yes I understand, but to me it doesn't matter where the indicator is used, I simply want to extract it's information even though it is on MT4. I was asking if it is possible because you said icustom is only compatible with MT5. 

Where did I state that iCustom() is ONLY compatible with MQL5?

I stated no such thing. I even gave you a link to the MQL4 documentation for it. iCustom() is available on both MQL4 and MQL5 but work differently in each case.

However, that is irrelevant because it is an MT4 indicator which can only be accessed and used by MT4/MQL4.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How can I retrieve specific mt4 indicator data using python api

Fernando Carreiro, 2023.03.27 12:15

Yes, by using the iCustom function. Even without documentation you can see which values are supplied for which buffers by observing the output in Data Window.

You can also hire someone to do that research for you or to develop the MQL4 EA.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Where did I state that iCustom() is ONLY compatible with MQL5?

I stated no such thing. I even gave you a link to the MQL4 documentation for it. iCustom() is available on both MQL4 and MQL5 but work differently in each case.

However, that is irrelevant because it is an MT4 indicator which can only be accessed and used by MT4/MQL4.

I apologize for my misunderstanding. 

"However, that is irrelevant because it is an MT4 indicator which can only be accessed and used by MT4/MQL4." 

Could I not use the icustom indicator with MQL4 then to extract the data?

M Ibrahim #: I apologize for my misunderstanding. "However, that is irrelevant because it is an MT4 indicator which can only be accessed and used by MT4/MQL4." Could I not use the icustom indicator with MQL4 then to extract the data?

Is that not what I have already stated several times already?

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How can I retrieve specific mt4 indicator data using python api

Fernando Carreiro, 2023.03.27 12:15

Fernando Carreiro #:

Is that not what I have already stated several times already?

Sorry, very new to this. So these are the steps I need to take:

1) Use MQ4 Icustom function to extract indicator data from mt4

2) Convert data to python for my own programs 

M Ibrahim #: Sorry, very new to this. So these are the steps I need to take: 1) Use MQ4 Icustom function to extract indicator data from mt4. 2) Convert data to python for my own programs 

Why step 2? There is no Python API in MT4, so you will not be able to trade in Python.

Just write your program, an Expert Advisor, in MQL4.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Why step 2? There is no Python API in MT4, so you will not be able to trade in Python.

Just write your program, an Expert Advisor, in MQL4.

Well, because I am using it to trade with a python API..I have never used MQL4