From theory to practice. Part 2 - page 172

Maxim Kuznetsov:

I came across an interesting "for morons" article not too long ago. Just about our level https://habr.com/ru/company/macloud/blog/552982/:-)

The article seems to be an advertisement. It is full of references to the resource, with an offer to calculate something there. In general, yes, it is "for morons".

PapaYozh:

The article seems to be an advertisement. It is full of references to a resource, with an offer to calculate something there. All in all, yes, "for morons."

But the same keys are already "not for us poor" materials.

PS / small addition - not advertising (fully not advertising) articles in today's web NO. Not even here.

Maxim Kuznetsov:

but the same keys are used to find "not for us poor people" materials

The topic is quite serious (quantum computing), but the method chosen in the article to popularize it is not so good, in my opinion)

In fact, it's just rambling with dependence (as opposed to the usual Bernoulli scheme). It seems that such patterns for quotes are usually explained by the fact that someone gains a large position by several trades. That is, the condition of independence of increments is violated. It is not that mathematicians do not know such models - on the contrary, there are plenty of them, but they can hardly be explained in a popular format.

Aleksey Nikolayev:

The topic is quite serious (quantum computing), but the method chosen in the article to popularise it is not so good, in my opinion)

Basically, it's just rambling with dependence (as opposed to the usual Bernoulli scheme). It seems that such patterns for quotes are usually explained by the fact that someone gains a large position by making several trades. That is, the condition of independence of increments is violated. It is not that mathematicians do not know such models - on the contrary, there are many of them, but they can hardly be explained in a popular format.

The topic is very serious, I've made a plan to tackle/ deconstruct a similar article (also very introductory) on options...but that's a lot for this weekend.

as usual, with mathematics - whether this method is applicable to our given sense of squalor :-) at the level of qualitative assessment - yes, it is applicable, its use can be explained apart from "the numbers are similar, the graph is close".
We have in Beck what is strongly similar to quantum.mech and other Schrödinger's cats.

Maxim Kuznetsov:

the topic is extremely serious, I have made a plan to take a similar article (also extremely introductory) on options...but that's a lot for this weekend.

as usual with mathematics - whether this method is applicable to our given squalor :-) at the level of qualitative evaluation - yes, it is applicable, its use can be explained apart from "the numbers are similar, the graph is close".
We have in Beck something that is strongly similar to quant.mech and other Schrödinger's cats.

In our field, matmodels tend to behave like Winnie the Pooh's honey - if they work, they don't work anymore) Which, in my opinion, doesn't invalidate... )

Aleksey Nikolayev:

In our field, matemodels tend to behave like Winnie the Pooh's honey - if they work, they don't work anymore) Which, in my opinion, doesn't invalidate... )

And the more maddening are those who try to apply these models to data that knowingly do not meet the necessary conditions...

Maybe they think they are the samurai of forex, but in reality it looks like this:

transcendreamer:

And even crazier are those who try to apply these models to data that knowingly do not meet the necessary conditions...

Maybe they think they're the samurai of forex, but in reality it looks like this:

Shh-shh-shh...
Don't scare off the "mathematicians"!

transcendreamer:

And even crazier are those who try to apply these models to data that knowingly do not meet the necessary conditions...

Maybe they think they are forex samurai, but in reality it looks like this:

Surely, from the point of view of professional financial mathematicians, we all look like monkeys in human clothes with all our mathematical exertions.) But will that stop us?) No! For the hundred and five hundred millionth time we'll start wrinkling our foreheads and carefully studying the coin and the law of the repeated logarithm!) For we have a huge responsibility for the existence and prosperity of the whole industry - retail Forex! (and by the way, they may not be hired at the factory anymore)

ms

Aleksey Nikolayev:

Surely, from the point of view of professional financial mathematicians, we all look like monkeys in human clothes with all our mathematical exertions) But will that stop us?) No! For the hundred and five hundred millionth time we'll start wrinkling our foreheads and carefully studying the coin and the law of the repeated logarithm!) For we have a huge responsibility for the existence and prosperity of the whole industry - retail Forex! (By the way, they may not even be hired at the factory anymore).

Shiryaev said that if we add an epsilon "outwards" to the repeated logarithm curve, the crossing will happen only a finite number of times, which of course is great, but in practice it is unclear exactly how many times, and the worst thing is that the distribution is constantly changing, Therefore estimating the iterated logarithm in the low-volatile area may cause a lot of unpleasant emotions when the volatility rises, and you can even wake up in a brick factory, similarly the opposite, volatility overestimation will be harmful for trading, and the iterated logarithm has an undefined value in the zero point and also a shift of the chart by one, And it is easier to estimate the cocoon in any case using the empirical root plus a small linear trend, because in any case the parameters will be lost on a forward position and there is not much sense to build a super-duper accurate model like Shiryaev's one using calculus of variations (about the best price estimation within a day), when there are elections or all sorts of OPEC rips or the like, that's what the foreman told me, well that's it, it's time for me to unload the new supply, I'm off...

Aleksey Nikolayev:

Surely, from the point of view of professional financial mathematicians, we all look like monkeys in human clothes with all our mathematical exertions) But will that stop us?) No! For the hundred and five hundred millionth time we'll start wrinkling our foreheads and carefully studying the coin and the law of the repeated logarithm!) For on our shoulders is a huge responsibility for the existence and prosperity of an entire industry - retail Forex! (By the way, we can no longer be hired at the factory).

By the way, about the factory, a lot of people here are from there:

I work in a glue factory. I like it here, we have chocolate walls, gnomes help us pack the goods, we can ride rainbows at leisure, and I'm a dandelion

the paint factory workers also come home through the magic forest....