ATC without timeframe(TF) - page 5

Maxim Kuznetsov:

You can do it without candlesticks. You can use ticks, you can use bar close prices, you can just use random time stamps. But people orientate by hours and this has a deep imprint on the entire price.

But there is one BUT - timeframe is a scaling, different depth of analysis. And the price behaves differently from each other, the bars / candlesticks allow us to notice it. "Gut of the day" moves with all the known events of the opening/closing of the stock sessions and the transition of the day with a clear timetable. The tamframes above - the moving events are more chaotic. If we look closely at the ticks, the "rhythm" is given by H4 (not because it is magic, but it is where the lower ones converge and meets timetables).

That is, one and the same Expert Advisor must be separately adapted (even partially change the algorithm, not so much the constants) to intraday trading and to the average holding period of 3-4 days.

Great post. I agree with everything, except the last paragraph, the truth of which I can't confirm yet - in the process. That may be so.

In fact, I can tell you that tiki is a Pandora's box.

It is as clear as day that working with OHLC is a load of crap. Once again, an even reading of the market is inapplicable. Hence the billion strategies and millions of humiliated and insulted traders.

Working with ticks with reference to astronomical time, periods of trading sessions - that's the key to the solution. There you go!

Alexander_K2:

It is as clear as day that working with OHLC is a load of crap. Once again, an even reading of the market is inapplicable. Hence the billion strategies and millions of humiliated and insulted traders.

Working with ticks with reference to astronomical time, periods of trading sessions - that's the key to the solution. There you go!

Change the clock to NY or London and recalculate bars from H2 - everything will "play" differently and the candlesticks begin to help a lot

Alexander_K2:

Is it a joke about astronomy?)

Andrey Gladyshev:

Is that a joke about astronomy?)

That's exactly what Gunn did. And the man is a trading legend by any measure.

I personally peg the period of trading sessions at 8 o'clock.

In short, I think the most correct solution is to work with time bars containing the same number of ticks.

Simply put, do we need to be tied to the geography of the schedule...?

Alexander_K2:
In short, I think the most correct solution is to work with time bars containing the same number of ticks.

That's an interesting thought ))) Except that most DCs filter quotes coming in from the interbank. Try it on ECN accounts? They should not filter there.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

That's an interesting thought ))) Except that most DCs filter quotes coming in from the interbank. Try it on ECN accounts? They should not filter there.

I am on NDD account. I have no claims about data quality. And with this method of data collection I have a stable Laplace distribution for increments.

I will especially note - stable.

If we take pure tick Bid and Ask, their distributions separately resemble Laplace, but distribution (Ask+Bid)/2 immediately "crumbles", i.e. just tick flow is unstable and cannot be applied.

But "thinning" the tick flow so that, say, the minute bars contain the same number of ticks gives a stable distribution of increments.

Some may shout in a falsetto "What's this man's advice? He's made -5% in three months' trading!"

My answer is that just because I personally have not yet learned how to make money with Laplace motion, it does not mean that others cannot.

It's about the cornerstone - the method of collecting data for analysis. And I think time bars with the same number of ticks is the right solution.