A programmer is needed to create immortality - page 6

evillive:
In the forties a "gerontologist" tried to divide people into worthy and unworthy, and there were attempts before him, as well as after him.
Deciding who should live and who should die on the basis of idiotic subjective considerations is not the same as deciding who should be given the additional option of immortality.

As for me, immortality for people is harmful and in general fatally dangerous, from the point of view of existence of species. And so many people behave as if they have hundreds of years of life ahead of them, all for tomorrow they postpone something. And giving them immortality, they would turn into a stupid, lazy brute. They're not worthless, even in small numbers, and we're talking about a whole planet populated by them...

Look for immortality in their descendants and their accomplishments, not immortality for an individual. It is not for nothing that it is said "...we are alive as long as we are remembered..."

evillive:

And to me, immortality for humans is harmful and deadly in general, from the point of view of the existence of the species.

Only in case immortality will be handed out left and right, indiscriminately, to everyone, without solving all related issues.

evillive:

And no one wants a cachet, even when there are few of them

Not even the great scientists? Einstein, Newton, Tesla...

In general I would like to live about five hundred years without ageing, to visit all the interesting places on Earth and in Solar system (may be, in some centuries it will be accessible to everybody), to learn all languages, to read all books and watch all plays and movies, to be the president of some country or even the Emperor of the whole Solar system at least once ))))

But live forever, until the stars go out, and then go on living in the cold and dark? Boring...

tuner:

Only if immortality is handed out left and right, to everyone indiscriminately, without all the attendant issues being addressed.

It will be decided by the same people, and people are biased and always will be.

Bored:
Even the great scientists? Einstein, Newton, Tesla...

They will be the first to get bored.

evillive:

In fact, I certainly wouldn't mind living without aging for about five hundred years.

Okay, I've lived, 500 years have passed. What's next? An offer is made to extend your life, do you turn it down and say goodbye?

I think it is practically impossible to learn everything - not even eternity is enough, given that the amount of information is constantly increasing exponentially.

DiPach:

Some of the questions:

Who is considered worthy? (criteria for being considered worthy)

How? (methods of definition, including how to avoid leaving out decent people from the backwoods and how to weed out the "bad guys" that are cleverly disguised as decent)

Who defines/is to define the worthy? (including the selection criteria for appointment of qualifiers, criteria of choosing worthy qualifiers in qualifiers, criteria of choosing "assistants" of qualifiers and, actually, those who directly will be involved in mass production of immortal technology)

In general, non-humans are not suitable for the experiment! It is necessary to look for others, more decent ones at least!

evillive:

They will get bored first.

Bored of living or doing the same thing? Well, if you are bored with science, you can go into literature or music.

evillive:

As for me, immortality for people is harmful and in general fatally dangerous, from the point of view of existence of species. And so many people behave as if they have hundreds of years of life ahead of them, all for tomorrow they postpone something. And giving them immortality, they would turn into dumb, lazy beasts. They're not worthless, even in small numbers, and we're talking about a whole planet populated by them...

Look for immortality in their descendants and their accomplishments, not immortality for an individual. It is not for nothing that it is said "...we are alive as long as we are remembered..."

5+!