Is any prediction doomed? - page 21

Mathemat:

Are you familiar with information theory? Or are you only slightly familiar with it?

I am looking for a real expert in this theory (not to be confused with computer science!), who can professionally explain to me where to go.

If you can point me to a forum with experts who live there, I will certainly have a look.

At the level of a semester back in my student days, it can hardly be considered an acquaintance, not even a glimpse. :)

HideYourRichess:
Predicting a guaranteed future - I think there's something wrong here. I'm assuming that you can't know the future.

It is possible to predict.

Here's an example: I have a drip irrigation system installed on my strawberries and I have a storage tank whose volume I know.

If I shut off the water at the inlet to the tank and open the drip taps, I can predict what will happen to the water level in the tank after a day.

PapaYozh:

Here's an example: I have a drip irrigation system installed on my strawberries and I have a storage tank whose volume I know.

If I shut off the water at the inlet to the tank and open the drip taps, I can predict what will happen to the water level in the tank after a day.

Are warranties covered in case of frost or poor quality Chinese components?

PapaYozh:

Well, let's not get hot! There's also the prediction as you can only predict with a certain very high probability. The possibility of a burst hose, a crack in the tank, etc. (force majeure) cannot be ruled out. (force majeure), you can't cancel it.

FAGOTT:

This too is a prediction as you can only predict with a certain very high probability. The possibility of a hose burst, a crack in the tank, etc. (force majeure) cannot be ruled out. (force majeure), you can't cancel it.
Can you calculate this "very high probability"?

HideYourRichess:
At the level of a semester back in my student days, it can hardly be considered an acquaintance, even a tentative one. :)

Well, I have a semester, too, and that's computer science...

P.S. Do you guys want to talk about prediction in detail? This is an off-topic. It's about prediction!

FAGOTT:

Well, let's not get hot! There's also the prediction as you can only predict with a certain very high probability. The possibility of a burst hose, a crack in the tank, etc. (force majeure) cannot be ruled out. (force majeure) you can't cancel it.

You see, I didn't write "in an hour" on purpose, I wrote "in 24 hours". I wrote it that way because in 24 hours my tank will be empty under the described conditions. Breaking the hose would only speed up the emptying process. And since the tank is covered, clogging with mud won't happen either, unless, of course, forum participants rush to me to fight watering :)

PapaYozh:

You see, I didn't write "in an hour" on purpose, I wrote "in twenty-four hours". I did so because in 24 hours my tank would be empty under the conditions described. Breaking the hose would only speed up the emptying process. And since the tank is covered, clogging with mud won't happen either, unless, of course, forum participants rush to me to fight watering :)
A good tank like that could get stolen, watch out there. :)

HideYourRichess:
Are warranties covered in case of frost or poor quality Chinese components?

If we're talking about "today", yes, it does.

I'm in excess of 30 Celsius right now. And the components... If something bursts or slips, the tank will be empty even faster.

HideYourRichess:
Such a good tank can be stolen, watch out there. :)

My neighbours are good. In 5 years of construction, they haven't even stolen a fixture.

It's not a dacha, it's a house in the countryside.

Although, by the way, there are drunks too. Sometimes they shoot money for booze, but sometimes they get it back, but they haven't stolen anything.