[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 569

DmitriyN:

It turns out this: if, for example, the ISS had the same angular rate of rotation as the Earth, it would fall to the Earth.

Earth's angular rate for the ISS is irrelevant

moskitman:
at her current height? Yes.

Pisces, and what obviously saves the earth from falling into the sun is the angular velocity of the sun.

DmitriyN:

It turns out this: if, for example, the ISS had the same angular rate of rotation as the Earth, it would fall to the Earth.

No, it wouldn't. There are geostationary satellites - hovering over one point of the earth. It makes no difference to satellites (or rather gravitational force) whether the earth is spinning or not.

Integer:

They are hovering at an altitude of 40,000km and the ISS is much lower.

----

PS: Calculated maximum height of steel pipe (at steel strength limit - 400 MPa) - it will be about 5 km. There is not enough strength to reach space. The pipe should probably be pyramidal in shape.

DmitriyN:

PS: Calculated the maximum height of a steel pipe (at a steel strength limit of 400 MPa) - it would be about 5 km.

Now all rushed in the direction of carbon nanotubes. I mean fans of all sorts of things like pipes, lifts into space and so on. :)

DmitriyN:

The pipe should probably be pyramid-shaped.

I knew it. Did Mosquito suggest it?

DmitriyN:

They are hovering at an altitude of 40,000km and the ISS is much lower.

----

PS: Calculated maximum height of steel pipe (at steel strength limit - 400 MPa) - it will be about 5 km. There is not enough strength to reach space. The pipe should probably be pyramidal in shape.

hmmm... I wrote earlier - read the works of Tsiolkovsky - he gave calculations of space lifts there... maybe you'll find something useful....

Mischek2:
I knew it. Mosquito recommended it?
Yeesh.)

Aleksander:
hmmm... I wrote earlier - read the works of Tsiolkovsky - he gave calculations of space lifts there... maybe you'll find something useful....
Where? I couldn't find it. I'd like to read the sources, not about him.

DmitriyN:

They are hovering at an altitude of 40,000 km and the ISS is much lower.

27,000 km, and strictly above the equator. The misalignment with the Earth's plane of rotation is called the geostationary satellite's diurnal bearing. To an observer in the northern hemisphere, the satellite is slightly above and below the horizon, depending on the time of day, but always on the same azimuth to the south-east or south-west.