[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 570

TheXpert:
Now everyone is rushing towards carbon nanotubes. I mean, fans of all sorts of stuff like pipes, lifts into space, etc. :)
Density less, strength more, theoretically the height should be greater. But, the price ...

TheXpert:
Everybody's going for carbon nanotubes now. I mean, fans of all sorts of stuff like pipes, lifts into space and so on. :)

carbon fibre tubes - Not relevant :-) graphene materialsare in vogue now ... now there's a paper with a density five to sixtimes lower than steel, but a tens of times higher tensile strength than carbon steel....

so a construction solution like this is not far off:

Artistic fantasy: a view of a space lift lifting cargo from Earth to an orbital station - "space port"

ZS... Dimitri... what is the pipe for? :-) I kinda missed that point :-) -

Aleksander:

carbon tubes - Not relevant :-) Graphene materialsare in vogue now ...

What's the big deal if nanotubes are one of them?

DmitriyN:

They are hovering at an altitude of 40,000km and the ISS is much lower.

----

PS: Calculated maximum height of steel pipe (at steel strength limit - 400 MPa) - it will be about 5 km. There is not enough strength to reach space. The pipe should probably be pyramidal in shape.

Ahhhh, so what the hell, push this ISS away from the ground and let it hang over one point if necessary.

Aleksander:
ZS... Dimitri... what is the pipe for? :-) I kinda missed that point :-) -
I don't know where to look for it anymore. It was someone's joke, just that even theoretically, there is no way to make a pipe 400-600 km high.

Mischek2:

The angle of land for the ISS is irrelevant

The catch is whether it's possible to get a geostationary satellite at the altitude the ISS is at. I don't know.

DmitriyN:
I don't know where to look for it anymore. It was someone's joke, there's just no way, even theoretically, to make a pipe 400-600km high.

)))) How long is it?

A body moving on the surface of the Earth at 8 km/sec weighs nothing. Electrons in a kinescope, for example, don't weigh anything either.
And if you make a big current...

Integer:
)))) How long?
There is no limit to the length. I am told that they have even developed a tracked extruder to make plastic pipes. The extruder moves and makes a large diameter pipe, it is then buried in the ground.