[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 551

alsu:
Explain how it is possible for a person to shift his centre of gravity by 10 cm forward without being affected by other material objects. And how is this consistent with Newton's 1st law.
It can. It takes a really good fart. But this way has nothing to do with raising and lowering the legs and rotating the arms, and therefore has nothing to do with friction forces. :)

alsu:
that the force of gravity when walking uphill is not directed in the direction of the movement at all, and therefore cannot be the cause.

No, Alexei, it isn't. When I lean on a steep slope, there is still a tangential component in the direction of ascent. If the slope is not steep, but here we go into monkey mode (rock climbing).

joo:
It can. It takes a really good fart. But this method has nothing to do with raising and lowering the legs and rotating the arms.

The way will work! But, to do that, you first have to catch what you fart from eating, and for that you need friction:)

tara:

No, Alexei, it isn't. When I lean on a steep slope, there is still a tangential component in the direction of ascent. If the slope is not steep, but then you go into monkey mode (climbing).
The tangential component of gravity will be directed downwards, not upwards, because gravity itself is directed strictly downwards.

the normal component that drops us onto the slope will remain, but the steeper the slope, the less it is.

tara:

The way will work! But, to do this, you first have to catch what you fart from eating, and for that you need friction:)
Yeah, and first you need the sun's energy to feed the thing that makes you fart. Conclusion: the sun shines - man farts !

tara:
That's right. Except that the axle can only be displaced by the friction force.

Right -- at the expense, but not at the expense of power itself. And not just at the expense of it. You can do it at the expense of the resistance of the support.

And the force of gravity is useful, no matter how you turn it, because all the rest is just reaction.

joo:
It can. It takes a really good fart. But this method has nothing to do with raising and lowering your legs and rotating your arms, and therefore has nothing to do with friction forces. :)
And even in this case, the centre of mass of the man+gas system remains in place)))

TheXpert:

Right -- at the expense, but not at the expense of power itself. And not just at the expense of it. You can do it with the resistance of the support.

And useful as it may be, gravity will be the force of gravity, for all the rest is just reaction.

You're in a pool and you're pushing off the edge. You're affected by the force of its reaction. Will you refuse to swim, arguing that "just the reaction cannot move you"?

P.S. What about jet engines? They don't use any force other than reaction!

alsu:
The tangential component of gravity will be directed downwards, not upwards, as gravity itself is strictly downwards.

My centre of gravity is in my groin area (hussars, shut up!), about a metre off the ground. Depending on how steep the slope is, I either step or fall on my hands. In the latter case the three-point rule starts to work, but the essence of the stepping mechanism does not change - I am always stepping, falling forward.