[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 465

sanyooooook:

Score )

second eye

That's a nightmare... You go home after a decade of incarceration and your wife is not only asleep but the sun shines into her second eye... Reminds me of resident evil

Mathemat:

That's where the catch is. This is the initial kinetic above, before the combustion reaction starts. And what happens afterwards is what your grandmother said.

P.S. Has anyone here studied chemistry as an essential part of higher education?

P.P.S. Let's assume that the fire has already started. More precisely, two identical fires. Now let's put one in -90 temperatures (Antarctica, Vostok station, winter) and the other in the Sahara desert in summer (+58 in the sun). Which will burn better?

Apparently, the amount of oxygen must play a big role here.

High up in the mountains should burn worse than at sea level.

At low temperatures, better, because of the higher air density.

I will not say right away how much influence other factors may have - I would have to think about it for a long time :)

VictorArt:

Apparently, the amount of oxygen should play a big role here.

High in the mountains should burn worse than at sea level.

At low temperatures, it should burn better because of the higher air density.

I can't say how much influence other factors may have - I would have to think about it for a long time :)

It doesn't take long. There is also much less water vapour in cold air. Bottom line - more oxygen in cold air. Plus, there's better traction.

Sis is spelt four letters, pronounced three in both directions. You could also say "tit". The man must have been illiterate and the judge played on it.

It would also be a good word if it was an organ :)

All other conditions are identical. Humidity, density, oxygen content, etc. And even their difference does not affect the speed of the reaction as much as the heat removal from the reaction zone.

In short, there is a famous principle of le Chatelier in chemistry: any influence on the chemical reaction shifts the chemical equilibrium in such a way as to reduce this influence. Let's write down the combustion reaction (it is exothermic):

Source fuel + Oxygen <-> Products of combustion + Heat Q

Now we will cool down the combustion zone. In other words, we will dissipate the heat. The reaction, according to the Le Chatelier principle, will align the equilibrium so as to minimise the external influence (heat extraction). It will 'tend' to generate more heat. Since we have heat on the right side of the reaction, the equilibrium will shift to the right. The fire will intensify.

And why is a fire extinguished with carbon dioxide? It's simple: carbon dioxide is one of the products of the combustion reaction. If we artificially increase its concentration, the equilibrium of the combustion reaction will shift to the left (to where there was no carbon dioxide yet), i.e. in the direction opposite to combustion.

Another example, the last one about fire: if the combustion products are removed from the combustion zone, the burning will be more intense (the reaction resists and tries to compensate for the external impact by adding more combustion products). This seems to be used in metallurgy.

I remember reading about our polar explorers who managed to survive a fire on the Vostok in Antarctica during the winter. The frost during the fire was very hard. The polar explorers recall that aluminium was burning. This proves nothing, but demonstrates that the cold air does not prevent the fire from being very strong at all.

drknn:
Sis is spelt four letters, pronounced three in both directions. You could also say "tit". The man must have been illiterate and the judge played on it.
), no can do, there are three letters in the word, not three sounds.

Mathemat:

in chemistry, the famous Le Chatelier principle:

I know it's more thermodynamics than chemistry.

Thanks for the interesting information!

sanyooooook:
), no, it's not, it's three letters, not three sounds

Plus I'd like to see the physiognomy of the person who pronounces a word beginning with a soft sign.

So give me the right answer, because on the Internet they say that Trachtenberg knew the right answer. They also say that whoever knows the right answer has a dirty picture in his head.

drknn:
Well, give me the right answer, because the Internet says that Trachtenberg knew exactly the right answer. They also say that whoever knows the right answer has a dirty picture in his head.

Nah, he'll get such a hiccup, he'll drool to death.

I'm going to google who Trachtenberg is.