Once again, it's about the eternal: trend/flat. - page 2

Andrey Dik:

It is very important for any strategy to identify the trend/float in a timely manner. One way or another, the effectiveness of the TS depends on it.

It is clear that on different TFs at the same point in time there may be both in the sense that a particular EA writer puts it, but let's try to talk more specifically - how to identify the f/o on the current TF? Who defines t/f? Or many don't bother to do it?

I approach the notion of flat as an arrangement of candlesticks one after another in a horizontal channel, it is very abstract, because many questions arise such as "to what extent the candlesticks should fill the channel to be able to talk about a flat" etc.

At the moment I do it elementary - timeframes, say, 00:00-8:00 - flat, 08:00-22:00 - trend movements (one continuous directed movement or with changes of direction several times), 22:00-00:00 - flat. But this simplified method is very approximate, even though it improves indices of TS, but does not allow to use it on TF older than H1.

I am also thinking of playing with BB (Bollinger) to determine the TF, but do not know how to formalize it.

Please speak up.

What period on what t/f ? BB has a feature with standard deviations, i.e. how to use it to determine a flat ?

Andrey Dik:

It is very important for any strategy to identify the trend/float in a timely manner. One way or another, the effectiveness of the TS depends on it.

It is clear that on different TFs at the same point in time there may be both in the sense that a particular EA writer puts it, but let's try to talk more specifically - how to identify the f/o on the current TF? Who defines t/f? Or many don't bother to do it?

I approach the notion of flat as an arrangement of candlesticks one after another in a horizontal channel, it is very abstract, because many questions arise such as "to what extent the candlesticks should fill the channel to be able to talk about a flat" etc.

At the moment I do it elementary - timeframes, say, 00:00-8:00 - flat, 08:00-22:00 - trend movements (one continuous directed movement or with changes of direction several times), 22:00-00:00 - flat. But this simplified method is very approximate, even though it improves indices of TS, but does not allow to use it on TF older than H1.

I am also thinking of playing with BB (Bollinger) to determine the TF, but do not know how to formalize it.

Please speak up.

BB boundaries will show a flat with a lag of course.

I am using ZZ programmatically from the lower TF.

There are certainly interesting situations on the charts and how will we look at them? Are we looking at a flat or a trend? For example, at present H4 EURUSD we see a down trend and at the same time we see a flat trend within certain timeframes. Most likely, we should mark out a timeframe and then determine the TF characteristic.

Big red straight line - down trend, green - borders of a possible flat.

Andrey Dik:

It is very important for any strategy to identify the trend/float in a timely manner.

not for any strategy.

Alexandr Bryzgalov:

not for anyone.

That's right! Not necessarily for a loss-making one)))

A Flat is itself a corrective movement (in relation to the previous movement), i.e. using wave analysis would be an advantage in defining a Flat ,

It will be advantageous to use wave analysis in order to determine whether or not this is a "flat" pattern based on wave ratios and, at the same time, it is part of the channel structure. The further into the woods .......)))

Alexandr Bryzgalov:

not for anyone.

examples, please.

Andrey Dik:
examples, please.
arbitration

Alexandr Bryzgalov:
arbitrage
What are the arbitrage strategies for "kitchen" forex?

The Flat itself is a corrective movement, but at the same time it can be a continuation of the trend, or it can be a reversal. It all depends on other factors affecting the price. Usually a strong move is preceded by a prolonged flat, it is undeniable.

Uladzimir Izerski:
The Flat itself is a corrective movement, but at the same time it can be a continuation of the trend, or it can be a reversal. It all depends on other factors affecting the price. Usually a strong move is preceded by a prolonged flat, it is undeniable.
Do you have any statistics?