Metatester Agent on Windows Server 2008R2 - page 7

fyords: 

I'll do an experiment especially for you to find out the potential problem (with a clone and from a clean installation).

So, the results of the first half of the test:

1. one VM was created, from scratch, clean installation, no agents.

2. from the first one, the second one was cloned (no agents yet).

3. On the first one I install agents.

4. And clone into the third (already with agents).

5. I put agents on the second one.

VM characteristics:

1. all have 2 cores and 8 gigs of RAM.

2. all installed tools (although after the clone tools worked, but vCenter didn't see the tools, after updating tools all became normal)

After 12 hours of work:

1. all agents worked (6 in total).

2. None was deleted

3. I got a group of 2 agents in my profile (using grouping by CPU) and the number of passes corresponds to the total number of passes on all 3 VMs.

In the second part of the test I changed ports of the agents, so that all have different ports. I will report with the results in a while.

In the meantime I will create another VM, clean installation from scratch, without any clones. Let's see how it behaves with the others.

PS. All the VMs were installed from the same distribution. Win7 x64.

fyords:

So, the results of the first half of the test:

1. one VM was created, from scratch, clean installation, no agents.

2. from the first one, the second one was cloned (no agents yet).

3. On the first one I install agents.

4. And clone into the third (already with agents).

5. setting agents on the second.

After 12 hours of work:

1. all agents worked (6 in total).

2. none was deleted

3. a group (using grouping by CPU) of 2 agents appeared in the profile and the number of passes corresponds to the total number of passes on all three VMs.

In the second part of the test I changed ports of the agents, so that all have different ports. I will report with the results in a while.

In the meantime I will create another VM, clean installation from scratch, without any clones. Let's see how it behaves with the others.

PS. All the VMs were installed from the same distribution. Win7 x64.

See if they have the same ID (in ...\Tester\Manager\common.ini). There is a suggestion that if you make the ID different, the machines will be considered different. I don't know if this can be done manually, and if there are no ID references in the registry as well (question for MQ)...

Ashes:

See if they have the same ID (in ...\Tester\Manager\common.ini). There is a suggestion that if you make the ID different, the machines will be considered different. I don't know if this can be done manually, and if the IDs are not also referenced in the registry (question for MQ)...

5 points :)

Exactly, all cloned VMs (first through third) have the same ID. After changing ports, additional agents started appearing in the profile.

And the one which was put from scratch has different ID. And agents in the profile are shown as a separate machine.

I will try on one of the VMs (cloned) to rearrange manager with complete removal of all the file "roots". Let's see if the ID changes.

PS. Reinstalling the manager didn't change the ID. First the file was empty and then the ID appeared.

But another fact is clear: a clean installation of the windup makes the agent manager unique, which was required. No agent has been deleted in the intervening time.

papaklass:
So, the ID is also written into the registry. But this is not difficult to cope with. One of the ways you mentioned.

When uninstalling the manager, the uninstaller came across some registry key, but I think it is not responsible for the manager's ID, but for the fact that it was installed, i.e. the system record that the tester is a program.

Hence the second conclusion: the manager does not bind to the registry. Binding only to hardware and environment. I will keep digging, maybe something will work.

fyords:

When uninstalling the manager, the uninstaller came across some registry key, but I think it is not responsible for the manager's ID, but for the fact that it was installed, i.e. the system record that the tester is a program.

Hence the second conclusion: the manager does not bind to the registry. Binding only to hardware and environment. I will keep digging, maybe something will work.

I.e. we need to find a way to change the ID.

Maybe the developers themselves can help...

Drumroll..... Solution found!

On cloned machines, simply change the serial number of the volume (I changed the serial number of the C drive, which is where the agent manager is installed).

This can be done with the following program

Disk Serial Number Changer

The Disk Serial Number changer can help you change the Serial Number of a disk partition. Your Volume Serial Number (Volume ID) format is XXXX-XXXX (X is 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F).

Before changing the serial number of the system disk volume, I uninstalled the manager and all agents. After changing the serial number, reboot and install manager and agents.

After these actions, the agents of this VM appeared in the profile as a separate machine. The ID in ...\Tester\Manager\common.ini has changed.

And neither OS, nor hardware was changed, no hard disks were mapped to other ports, etc.

GoRo, try it, it should help.

fyords:

Drumroll..... Solution found!

On cloned machines, simply change the serial number of the volume (I changed the serial number of the C drive, which is where the agent manager is installed).

This can be done with the following program

Before changing the serial number of the system disk volume, I uninstalled the manager and all agents. After changing the serial number, reboot and install manager and agents.

After these actions, the agents of this VM appeared in the profile as a separate machine. The ID in ...\Tester\Manager\common.ini has changed.

And neither OS, nor hardware was changed, no hard disks were mapped to other ports, etc.

GoRo, try it, it should help.

Trying, thanks in advance...

fyords:
More links to the programme, please

GoRo:
More links to the programme, please

Please http://www.vidon.ru/softportal/progr2701.html.

It worked for me without payment.

Disk Serial Number Changer : Скачать Disk Serial Number Changer 1.00
  • www.vidon.ru
Главная / РљР°С‚алог / РЎРёСЃС‚емные программы / Р—аставки Рё РћР±РѕРё Disk Serial Number Changer Автор: Keylack Software (Написать автору) Версия: 1.00 Лицензия: Shareware ($9.95) Р СѓСЃСЃРєРёР№ язык: Нет РћРЎ: 9x,ME,NT,2k,XP,2003 Размер: 1429 РљР± Р...

fyords:

Please http://www.vidon.ru/softportal/progr2701.html.

Without payment it worked for me.

Has the LABEL command been cancelled ? Or does Disk Serial Number Changer do something else besides actually change the volume serial number ?