Interesting and Humour - page 3968

Комбинатор:

Where in the solution is the ROLL SIZE set?

Дмитрий:

Where in the solution is the ROLL SIZE set?

with the letter N

Комбинатор:

N

A letter indicates the number of queens

Комбинатор:

Before the weirdos read WIki, take a million and slowly walk away so they don't suspect anything... ;)

Комбинатор:

Great, thank you. You live and learn.)

Дмитрий:

The letter indicates the number of queens

Stop being stupid. The number of queens is the same as the size of the board.

If the number of queens is greater than the size of the board, the problem has no solution, proved by one sentence.

If the number of queens is less than the size of the board, it is a special simplified case, just remove extra queens and that's it.

If the board is not square, the problem is easily reduced to a square, because there can't be more queens than the smaller side anyway.

Aleksandr Volotko:

Before the weirdos read WIki, take a million and slowly walk away so they don't suspect anything... ;)

)) go ahead yourself, if it works, you can bet a beer.

Комбинатор:

)) go ahead yourself, if it'll get you a beer.

I'm an old, sick man, they'll catch up with me ))

Комбинатор:

The number of queens is the same as the size of the board.

If the number of queens is greater than the size of the board, the problem has no solution, proved by one sentence.

If the number of queens is less than the size of the board, it is a particular simplified case, just remove extra queens and that's it.

If the board is not square, the problem is easily reduced to a square, because there cannot be more queens than the size of the smaller side anyway.

1. Don't be stupid -"If you solve the more general problem about N queens...."

2. At least read the conditions for winning the $1,000,000 contest to begin with. It's hard, but you do try. I will give you a hint - you need a general algorithm for solving the problem for any dimension of the board

About 10 years ago, a student I know asked me to solve an 8 queens problem in C++ with a recursive function. Took me 4 hours, tried a hundred variants. Nothing. She should be here soon... And then... a miracle worked for me... 15 minutes later, the program was ready.