Can't Hide/Delete Symbol from Market Watch

Hi all,

I've run into this particular bug, I can't seem to "Hide" or Delete my Symbols from Market Watch, I'm using ICMarkets,

Can anybody confirm if this is a bug or does MT just suck? I've hidden Symbols before, but always struggle with this.

Kind Regards

Arno321:

Hi all,

I've run into this particular bug, I can't seem to "Hide" or Delete my Symbols from Market Watch, I'm using ICMarkets,

Can anybody confirm if this is a bug or does MT just suck? I've hidden Symbols before, but always struggle with this.

Kind Regards

You can't hide symbols for any open charts or for any open trades. I also think that a symbol cannot be hidden for 10 minutes after its data has been accessed by an EA, indicator or script.

Despite being an MT4 user for about 15 years I got caught again on this one and came here looking for the answer. I found myself unable to delete/hide some unwanted symbols in the Market Watch window. I checked that there were no charts open that were accessing the symbols that I wanted to delete but no joy. I had forgotten all about a scanner that was running in the background and accessing every symbol in the watch list. This meant that I was able to add new symbols to the watch list but not delete any. As soon as I disabled the scanner, I could again delete unwanted symbols.

The rule appears to be that if anything is accessing a symbol be it a chart, script or EA then that symbol can't be deleted until what ever is accessing it is removed. I don't know about the 10 minutes wait that Arno321 mentions.  I have found that as soon as the offending item that is accessing the symbol is removed , the symbol itself can be removed.  By the way IMO MT4 does not suck. I have found it to be a solid, reliable piece of software that has stood the test of time. Some of it's more advanced features however do appear to present a bit of a learning challenge to some people. There always seems to be a trade-off between simplicity and advanced functionality with any software.

wilsonts:

Despite being an MT4 user for about 15 years I got caught again on this one and came here looking for the answer. I found myself unable to delete/hide some unwanted symbols in the Market Watch window. I checked that there were no charts open that were accessing the symbols that I wanted to delete but no joy. I had forgotten all about a scanner that was running in the background and accessing every symbol in the watch list. This meant that I was able to add new symbols to the watch list but not delete any. As soon as I disabled the scanner, I could again delete unwanted symbols.

The rule appears to be that if anything is accessing a symbol be it a chart, script or EA then that symbol can't be deleted until what ever is accessing it is removed. I don't know about the 10 minutes wait that Arno321 mentions.  I have found that as soon as the offending item that is accessing the symbol is removed , the symbol itself can be removed.  By the way IMO MT4 does not suck. I have found it to be a solid, reliable piece of software that has stood the test of time. Some of it's more advanced features however do appear to present a bit of a learning challenge to some people. There always seems to be a trade-off between simplicity and advanced functionality with any software.

Thank you very much for this tip. It saved me a lot of headache. In my case, the culprit was a "scanner indicator" going through all the sysmbols in the market watch that prevented symbols from being deleted/hidden from the list. Remove the indicator, and the problem is solved.

I am having this same issue, where did you go to find the indicator that was interfering and delete it?

Keith Watford #:

You can't hide symbols for any open charts or for any open trades. I also think that a symbol cannot be hidden for 10 minutes after its data has been accessed by an EA, indicator or script.

Easiest way to hide annoying symbol not getting off your watch list.

1) Close all charts and have no open charts

2) Right click on market watch to Hide all symbols

3) right click to freshly add symbols you need to market watch.

Simple and to the point !