(First post) Tester stopped, no memory. And long term market behavior

Hi all,

(Edited to include picture I mentioned)

This is my first post, big ups to all of the regular forum participants.  I've learned a lot from your material.  I started learning MQL4 on Jan 1 this year and have limited coding experience in Python and Pine Script.  Anyway I'm finally reaching out with my own topic because I feel I am at the point where I really need a buddy or mentor to point me in the next direction.  

Two problems:

1.) Test stopped because I'm out of memory.  I have 16gb ram and I didn't think I was using more than half of it.  Is there something inside MT4 that limits its own memory usage?  I understand that if I reduce the time period of the test then I won't have this problem but I'm wondering if there is a trick or setting in MT4 to let it go longer.  I was running 5min candles from 2004 to present and it was placing A LOT of trades so I understand this is the problem.  It didn't even get to 2008...

2.) I have tried quite a few different trading criteria and my favorites are basically "mean-reverting" on a super short time frame.  In the attached tester window my trading criteria were driven by two moving averages, one on the high and one on the low, period was 2, linear weighted average.  When the bid goes above the high sma [0] then it enters short and when the bid goes below the low sma [0] then it enters long.  If the enter long criteria is triggered it closes the short and vice versa.  I understand that the [0] prices are moving targets and that in strong trends I get wrecked.  
It's great, it's fun, it makes money from 3/4/2004 until 11/26/2004 then the price action changes in a way that my strategy runs into the ground, like in the attached pictures.  It's very interesting to me and I'm wondering if you can offer insight into how to manage these market behavior changes.  I have considered having more than one set of trading criteria running in the same EA using different magic numbers, is this common?  

Thanks for your time! 

-Frank

I have 30+ charts open, each with an EA and several indicators. I am using 60.4 MB. MB not GB. The problem is with your code.

Frank Newman:

Hi all,

(Edited to include picture I mentioned)

This is my first post, big ups to all of the regular forum participants.  I've learned a lot from your material.  I started learning MQL4 on Jan 1 this year and have limited coding experience in Python and Pine Script.  Anyway I'm finally reaching out with my own topic because I feel I am at the point where I really need a buddy or mentor to point me in the next direction.  

Two problems:

1.) Test stopped because I'm out of memory.  I have 16gb ram and I didn't think I was using more than half of it.  Is there something inside MT4 that limits its own memory usage?  I understand that if I reduce the time period of the test then I won't have this problem but I'm wondering if there is a trick or setting in MT4 to let it go longer.  I was running 5min candles from 2004 to present and it was placing A LOT of trades so I understand this is the problem.  It didn't even get to 2008...

If there are too much ticks it can happen. MT4 is a 32-bit application, it can manage around 3 GB maximum. No other way than reducing the testing period.

I can also be a code issue.

Thanks for your replies.  Do you think it could be a journal issue?  Maybe the journal is being written in memory during the tester and after it is complete then it writes it to the file?  
My code is far from elegant but I don't think I'm storing anything that would grow like this, except for the journal entries for buy and sell positions.  My log file has grown up to 10gb in a day from testing but since then I have removed almost all the coded messages.  Most of my journal entries are caused by the opening and closing of positions.
Reason: