Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 142

checkin:
They merged metatrader 4 and metatrader 5 sites. Now nothing can be found

Seems to be still there. What has changed?

All seems to be the same as before only they are writing metatrader 4 and 5 on each site at the header of the page. But that refers only to magazines (it is a magazines add). Merging the two could cause a complete chaos and I think that not even metatrader will do that (even though they are known for decisions that are not always well thought)

hughesfleming:

My bad guys

Sorry

mladen:
After 2 days of testing it, looks like build 633 have re-established some old bugs again. The usual "one step forward two steps back" continues. The whole thing feels shaky (but that is a subjective feeling - somehow it is less and less trustworthy to code with it)

I spent more than a year writing over 8000 lines of code just to have Metatrader screw with their MT4 causing the code to stop working .

I tested each function and each line 10s of times before using it , now I can't do anything because I know the problem is from MT4 , i'll wait till they fix their problem.

MiniMe:
I spent more than a year writing over 8000 lines of code just to have Metatrader screw with their MT4 causing the code to stop working . I tested each function and each line 10s of times before using it , now I can't do anything because I know the problem is from MT4 , i'll wait till they fix their problem.

The problem is that it is not just about fixing the metatrader

They have changed how some functions work, they have changed the boolean precedence evaluation, they have changed how global variables with the same name as local variables are treated (one of the stupidest changes I have seen - each and every coding language hides global variable if a local variable with a same name is declared from the point it is declared - but not in metatrader - sometimes you simply do not know which one is used regardless of the compiler warning). A compiler that does not know what to do when you do not want to use a result of a function but screems that the function should be checked, is rather funny in the end

There is so much examples like that, that in a lot of cases, the only solution will be to do the same job again. But to do that, we have to wait. These builds are anything but reliable and they are again changing the rules on the fly - what works today might not work tomorrow - they do not have a coding language laid out at all but they are inventing as they wake up that morning

All that is not promising anything good

Time to fly the Coop!

As trader developers, we cannot afford to support a platform that is continually changing. MiniMe has spent hundreds if not thousands of hours developing his EA that is now all wasted, one year's work. And now he just has to wait until MQ gets their act together, if ever. MLaden easily has spent the same amount of time rewriting indicators this year to convert to the new MT4 and what happens, they change the platform and more time is spent redoing what was done. In this type of environment, there is no new creative work being done, it is all spent on rewriting existing code. It is certainly true that MQ has no concerns about how their sloppy work affects the end users.

The good news is that ProTrader3 leads in FinFx's second platform questionnaire, and yes MT5 is one of the alternatives. If or when it, ProTrader3, is released, I am out of here and I hope many others follow as the MQ Ark is full of holes, software deficiencies and bugs, and is fast sinking.

Tzuman ,

It took me few years to know MT4 , and few others to know that it was built to screw trader. MT4 is built for brokers and not traders

There is a reason why an EA with years of excellent backtest and nice forward tests starts to suddenly lose money when used live , there is a reason why a profitable EA when shared on public starts to fail , there is a reason why most MT4 codes fail on live tests , there is a reason why MT4 develop plugins , MT4 brokers can screw your trades without being detected and I am not exaggerating they can and will do that.

We don't trade the forex market , we trade inside the broker computer and any MT4 broker says the opposite is lying , Therefore any profit is taken from the broker

MT4 forex is NOT a zero sum game, I am not into conspiracy theories , I know the real face of the brokers ; earlier last year I applied for a PAMM and was rejected by 3 brokers and those who accepted my application , one disconnect my MT4 and the other change the leverage on my account when I had 10s of open trades.

I agree we need to find an alternative but it has to be an open source like android or linux as I don't trust MT4 , as we will always need the help of people like mladen and communities like forex-tsd to develop codes that we can trade.

hughesfleming:

They merged the code base :

And whatever you chose it is written that it is metatrader 5 code library

Files:
mql.gif  28 kb

checkin:
They merged the code base :

And whatever you chose it is written that it is metatrader 5 code library

Well, that I did not notice

Interesting how small the numbers for metatrader 5 downloads are - it is like dead

Is someone using metatrader 5 for live trading?

I never used it for trading - just curious