Range Bar Chart on MT4 - page 57

I am new to range bar trading and there is something I don't understand. Range bars are "Non Time Frame" and yet when I open a 2 min chart with a 10 pip Range bar setting, it looks different from a 3 min chart with a 10 pip bar setting. Why is this? Surely they should be the same since time plays no role?

I would appreciate it if someone can clarify / explain this to me.

DerekP:

I am new to range bar trading and there is something I don't understand. Range bars are "Non Time Frame" and yet when I open a 2 min chart with a 10 pip Range bar setting, it looks different from a 3 min chart with a 10 pip bar setting. Why is this? Surely they should be the same since time plays no role?

I would appreciate it if someone can clarify / explain this to me.

It sounds like a bug in the program you use to generate the range chart. Provided that you generate it on the same data, the name of resulting custom timeframe should not affect the result.

Hi Guys!
I've been using this pack to generate RangeBars for quite a few years, now, and it was working fine.
About a month ago something happened, no idea what, and it doesn't generate an offline chart any more.
I am working on the latest MT4 Build 1090 - that hasn't change for over a year.
I am working on Win7 Pro.

Any ideas???

Stanislav Korotky:

It sounds like a bug in the program you use to generate the range chart. Provided that you generate it on the same data, the name of resulting custom timeframe should not affect the result.

Of course it looks diffrent every time you refresh the RB chart.
The RB bars are rendered from a given number of, usually, M1 candles.
In order to always see the same chart, they would need to be rendered from a fixed time point.

Dadas:

Of course it looks diffrent every time you refresh the RB chart.
The RB bars are rendered from a given number of, usually, M1 candles.
In order to always see the same chart, they would need to be rendered from a fixed time point.

No, range bars get synced with the first reversal bar, so only a few first bars depend on the starting time.

Ex Ovo Omnia:

No, range bars get synced with the first reversal bar, so only a few first bars depend on the starting time.

I am part of a traders' group who use strategies with RangeBars.
Most of us use the free RangeBars generators available on forums.
There are some who use your commercial product, and they say they don't experience the issue with repainting.
However, those who use the free one, often experience the situation, when they see a specific RB chart, 
then they, for any reason, switch over to the Tf chart where they have the RB generator, do something
which causes the reload of the RB generator and they see a different RB chart. The differences
might seem unimportant to most people, however they are very important for the specific strategy,
because the trade is either in accord with the strategy, or it isn't. Point is that a trade can seem to be
correct before refresh, and incorrect after the refresh. So, the struggle is to get consistent RB charts. 

The free RB generator which many of us use has two input parameters:

extern bool RefreshWindowOnAskPriceChange = FALSE;
extern bool RefreshOnHistoryUpdates = FALSE;
   if (RefreshWindowOnAskPriceChange) 
   updateDW(WindowHandle(gs_208, OfflineTimeFrame));

if (RefreshOnHistoryUpdates == TRUE) {
   Print("More history downloaded - resynchronizing with market");
I use RefreshOnHistoryUpdates = True; and I don't seem to have issues.
Others claim, that no matter what they use, if both false, or any true, they still get
repaint issues.