Goblin "BiPolar" Edition - page 7

blintzecure:
but magic numbers are static for each pair inside the code. the random number gen would provide a dynamic num each time the script is run preventing what are all too common magic num problems. and eliminate a big chunk of redundant code.

The code of this EA and most EA's has to rely on a consistent magic number. All of the loops that process orders use symbol and magic number ( and often order type) to identify relevent orders for the specific chart the EA is tied to. You need a way to keep from messing with open orders from another chart. A random number works as long as you don't stop the EA while there's open orders...too messy.

I assume you're referring to that "big chunk of redundant code" in Goblin BiPolar which produces magic numbers. Ask yourself how many times you've placed an EA on multiple charts and forgot to change the built in default magic number, causing orphan orders? For me, that extra block of code that takes nanoseconds to process is worth it's weight. I really don't understand why we're even discussing such a moot point.

bluto:
The code of this EA and most EA's has to rely on a consistent magic number. All of the loops that process orders use symbol and magic number ( and often order type) to identify relevent orders for the specific chart the EA is tied to. You need a way to keep from messing with open orders from another chart. A random number works as long as you don't stop the EA while there's open orders...too messy. I assume you're referring to that "big chunk of redundant code" in Goblin BiPolar which produces magic numbers. Ask yourself how many times you've placed an EA on multiple charts and forgot to change the built in default magic number, causing orphan orders? For me, that extra block of code that takes nanoseconds to process is worth it's weight. I really don't understand why we're even discussing such a moot point.

Exactly.

sstillwell

An Observation

Hello Bluto,

First of I congratulate you and all involved in the development of the Goblin EA series. Personally i am a big fan of the Martingale progression method with all its might and weakness.

I have taken the liberty to run several back-tests on the latest Goblin release in visual mode to determine its behavior with the new modifications that you have implemented.

I think the two order execution engines within one EA is a clever idea and yet sets a new level of MQ4 coding both engines work in harmony each managing its own side of the trade; excellent work.

I am hoping i can contribute to the development of the EA in a positive manner and to begin my contribution i would like to list an observation that i have noticed in the EA execution.

I have noticed that the trailing stop for the short order is not functioning. Only long orders have their stops modified as the market moves in a favorable direction and all positions close with the correct minimum profit captured. It is not the case however with the short orders. Short orders tend to only close when the P/T for the last position in the cycle is reached. I have noticed that on many occasion the market retraces enough (beyond the minimum profit value set) but the stop is not modified and thus more often than not a profitable cycle ends up extending unnecessarily.

I plan on analyzing the log one more time to re confirm my observation. I also invite you and others to confirm my observation. If i am found to be in error or my settings are the cause, kindly point out my error for my future reference.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for your generous contribution to the forum.

Regards,

Pip:
Hello Bluto,

First of I congratulate you and all involved in the development of the Goblin EA series. Personally i am a big fan of the Martingale progression method with all its might and weakness.

I have taken the liberty to run several back-tests on the latest Goblin release in visual mode to determine its behavior with the new modifications that you have implemented.

I think the two order execution engines within one EA is a clever idea and yet sets a new level of MQ4 coding both engines work in harmony each managing its own side of the trade; excellent work.

I am hoping i can contribute to the development of the EA in a positive manner and to begin my contribution i would like to list an observation that i have noticed in the EA execution.

I have noticed that the trailing stop for the short order is not functioning. Only long orders have their stops modified as the market moves in a favorable direction and all positions close with the correct minimum profit captured. It is not the case however with the short orders. Short orders tend to only close when the P/T for the last position in the cycle is reached. I have noticed that on many occasion the market retraces enough (beyond the minimum profit value set) but the stop is not modified and thus more often than not a profitable cycle ends up extending unnecessarily.

I plan on analyzing the log one more time to re confirm my observation. I also invite you and others to confirm my observation. If i am found to be in error or my settings are the cause, kindly point out my error for my future reference.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for your generous contribution to the forum.

Regards,

Thanks for the great feedback, Pip. I'm going to be looking at that code over the weekend because you're not the first to notice this. I did make a few tweaks to the EA and reposted on the first page...have you downloaded and tried this latest version? It's possible something got muffed up when I built this thing in a bit of a hurry...I was curious about what xxDavidxSxx was doing and wanted to try automating it. Let me know if your test observations were based on the latest version. Thanks!

yippppeeee yeeeaaa

bluuuuuuuuuutttttooooooo uuuuuu diiiiiiiiiiiddddd ittttttttt

bluto:
Thanks for the great feedback, Pip. I'm going to be looking at that code over the weekend because you're not the first to notice this. I did make a few tweaks to the EA and reposted on the first page...have you downloaded and tried this latest version? It's possible something got muffed up when I built this thing in a bit of a hurry...I was curious about what xxDavidxSxx was doing and wanted to try automating it. Let me know if your test observations were based on the latest version. Thanks!

I downloaded the EA yesterday morning after you had tweeked the order entry bug. I did not notice the expert missing any sequential entries, only that it is not trailing the short order. I looked at the code to determine where the bug may be but was not able to identify it. I will download the EA again today and re test it. Cheers.

Hey Bluto,

Looks like fun !!

No internet here until the 28th. Sorry I couldn't help with a Fibo version!

Tross

** Tweaks - 12/23/06 **

Added new true/false setting "UseFiboLotSizeProgression" to allow lot size progressions based on Fibo sequence (courtesy of Tross).

Updated EA is in zip on main page.

bluto:

I think its doing what I am doing now. Accept one thing. I manually close all open orders when equity is up 1-3k, and start fresh.

On back tests it keeps pushing orders further apart. Is there any way you can set it to close all open orders when equity increases a certian % from where it was when you started it? Then it resets and starts fresh. That stradigy manual or automated is the key to this working and being as close to a holy grail as I have ever seen.

over back test trades got pushed 500+ pips apart between buys and sells. but the equity line never dropped more than 1k below initial 5k deposit. and closed at -700$. So trading the other direction keeps the equity fluctuating around break even. +/- 1k and in forward tests waching the price run 200+ pips against me I still closed with 1-2.5k in equity growth each time I reset it.

I am going to run this version side by side with the dual chart set up I have been running.

great job.

Dave