Determining if an Order Succeeded

I am using the MetaTrader API. From what I understand, on a MtSendOrder API call, even if the return value is RET_OK, I am not guaranteed that the order has gone through. Presumably, if/when my order appears on the list from MtGetTradeRecords, I know that my order was successfuly. However, how do I know if the order failed? How long should I wait before giving up?

Basically, I don't see any notification in the API that lets the client know that an order has failed. In my program, if an order fails, I might want to replace the same order with a different price. However, I don't want to be in a situation where I replaced an order, thinking that the first order failed, but I was incorrect and both succeeded, leaving me in a position with twice the position I wanted.

Thanks in advance.

if order fails then MtSendOrder returns error code not RET_OK! and You can analyze returned codes always
please see our samples. for instance:
   SendOrderInfo soi;
   ::ZeroMemory(&soi,sizeof(soi));
   strcpy(soi.symbol,"USDCHF");
   soi.cmd=OP_BUY;
   soi.volume=100;
   soi.price=ask;
   if((err=api.SendOrder(&soi))!=RET_OK)
     {
      printf("Error sending order: %s\n",api.GetErrorDescription(err));
      return(-1);
     }
   printf("8. long position opened\n");

I asked a related question to support@metaquotes.ru. Below is a snippet from the email:

Hello, Andrew Schwartz,

**begin snippet**
> On the MT3 api, when I call SendOrder and the return value is 0 (success), does that guarantee that the order will go through?
No.

> Does SendOrder perform an asynchronous call or a synchronous call? I noticed that the trade list is not updated immediately - this is concerning to me.
Asynchronous.

Best regards, Mazhit Mugattarov,
MetaQuotes Software Corp.
**end snippet**

I'm confused. If I get a RET_OK (return value of 0) as a response to the SendOrder call, then that guarantees that the order will go through? You seem to indicate that it does provide a guarantee, but Mazhit Mugattarov indicates that it does not.

Thank you in advance.

there is misunderstanding, sorry

then which is correct? Could I get a clarification? If Mazhit is correct, I would like to ask my question again:

"Presumably, if/when my order appears on the list from MtGetTradeRecords, I know that my order was successfuly. However, how do I know if the order failed? How long should I wait before giving up?"

please try send order with wrong prices. You will receive error code not RET_OK. just do it.

That makes sense, and I am aware of that. I am concerned that I call MtGetPrices to get the prices, then I call MtSendOrder to place the order with the correct price. However, what if the price changes between when I call MtGetPrices and when I call MtSendOrder? Is the broker required to place an order within a certain time period of a MtGetPrices call?

It is a really good question. But why I can not find MTSendOrder function? I can only find the SetOrder method, which has no return value.

I am using the metatrader from FxDirect Dealer. Is it the MT3 API? Thanks a lot!!

Yeah, it's in the MT3 API, not in MQL.
Reason: