Metatrader 4 bug? EA attached but nothing is happening...

I noticed this happens after I run a lot of simulations in Strategy Tester. When I attach my EA to the LIVE window, nothing happens.

I added an 'Alert()' function in both 'init()' and 'start()' functions to see if they are even called, and nothing is happening.

I look at the experts tab and the expert appears to be loaded successfully. No errors of any kind. The 'start()' function does not run even once, since I put the 'Alert()' at the very top of it, so if there were some "unseen" errors in the code like infinite loops, the 'Alert()' functions should have popped up a message AT LEAST once.

Note that I have been leaving my EA overnight for testing purposes, and it never has any problems running continuously. It just seems that after a while of using Strategy Tester, this bug manifests itself.

In order to get the EA to run again, I have to restart MetaTrader and then it works again!

Anyone have any idea what this is all about?

Thanks!

When you load the expert do you have a smiley face in the top righthand corner or an x?

if not make sure you can view the standard toolbar and click on the expert advisors button.

Ickyrus:

. . . . . and click on the expert advisors button.

Guys I'm not a n00b... of course Expert Advisors were enabled, and the smiley face was indeed present!

Like I said, this is apparently some kind of a bug.

We can't tell the level of your experience from your origional post.

The tester does not do alerts

But I know on my compter

int init()
  {
   Alert("Hello World") ;
   return(0);
  }
Works! (on a demo account and real accout)

If there is not enough memory for the EA to load into - that might be the problem.

Don't install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

nanquan:

I noticed this happens after I run a lot of simulations in Strategy Tester. When I attach my EA to the LIVE window, nothing happens.

Do you make use of any GlobalVariables ?

RaptorUK:
Do you make use of any GlobalVariables ?

Yes I do, why?

Ickyrus:

We can't tell the level of your experience from your origional post.

The tester does not do alerts

But I know on my compter

Works! (on a demo account and real accout)

I know the tester doesn't do alerts. As I clearly stated I was referring to the LIVE trading window, not the tester.

And I have plenty of memory available (4GB) and was not running any memory consuming programs at the time, so I seriously doubt that was the problem.

nanquan:

Yes I do, why?
If you run the same EA in the Strategy Tester it will write to the GlobalVariables, perhaps it is setting them into a state that is stopping your EA running on Live/Demo ?
Reason: