Communicating with MT5 with external app

Is there a way to communicate with MT5 with an external application? For example, I would like to command MT5 to close a trade via an external application. I was thinking of getting the chart window handle and then use this window handle to do a SendMessage(hWnd...) or PostMessage(hWnd...) to the chart window via the external app. But is there a better way? One would have thought the MT5 has built in event polling capabilities, but I haven't seen these. Any novel ideas? Thanks.
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Chart Constants / Chart Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Chart Constants / Chart Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Standard Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Chart Constants / Chart Properties - Documentation on MQL5

Your approach is not bad.

Another aporoach to write to registery from your appication and make an EA that reads the registry.

olddirtypipster:
Is there a way to communicate with MT5 with an external application? For example, I would like to command MT5 to close a trade via an external application. I was thinking of getting the chart window handle and then use this window handle to do a SendMessage(hWnd...) or PostMessage(hWnd...) to the chart window via the external app. But is there a better way? One would have thought the MT5 has built in event polling capabilities, but I haven't seen these. Any novel ideas? Thanks.

Better way ? using WinAPI like that (PostMessage... SendMessage) is better than other method.

OnTimer event calling .dll or some file in each second, could be an alternative.