Maximum Years in Chart.

I have historical data for SPX until 1950. I have already change the  max bar in chart setting to maximum. When i load the chart, the chart only appears until year 1970. Is MT4 monthly chart limited to 1970?

Thanks

FxMidaso: I have historical data for SPX until 1950. I have already change the max bar in chart setting to maximum. When i load the chart, the chart only appears until year 1970. Is MT4 monthly chart limited to 1970?
  1. Are you perhaps limiting the number of bars on your charts in the Tools->Options->Charts->Max bars in chart.
    OK! I see you edited your initial post and answered the first question!
  2. How to you know that you have historical monthly data all the way back to 1950, if you only see up to 1970?
  3. Is it 3rd Party Data or normal data from your Broker?

Possibly that as datetime 0 = Ist Jan 1970, MT4 cannot process anything prior to that date.

Keith Watford:
Possibly that as datetime 0 = Ist Jan 1970, MT4 cannot process anything prior to that date.

Good point! Since dates before January 1st 1970, are not possible in the HST file, than that begs the question - how does he know that he has data prior to that date?

I am going to take a guess, that the OP is acquiring the data from a 3rd party and converting it, and assuming that the conversion is successful, for those prior dates!

FxMidaso:

I have historical data for SPX until 1950. I have already change the  max bar in chart setting to maximum. When i load the chart, the chart only appears until year 1970. Is MT4 monthly chart limited to 1970?

Thanks

Yes.

Alain Verleyen:
Yes.
Fernando Carreiro:

Good point! Since dates before January 1st 1970, are not possible in the HST file, than that begs the question - how does he know that he has data prior to that date?

I am going to take a guess, that the OP is acquiring the data from a 3rd party and converting it, and assuming that the conversion is successful, for those prior dates!

Thanks for the replies. I have downloaded csv file from yahoo for SPX and manually converted them into mt4 format. So i know my data is up to 1950. I have attached the converted data in case you Sir want to test it.

I think the explanation given by Alain Verleyen is the problem I'm facing. I'm assuming there is no way to overcome this, or is there one. thanks

FxMidaso:

Thanks for the replies. I have downloaded csv file from yahoo for SPX and manually converted them into mt4 format. So i know my data is up to 1950. I have attached the converted data in case you Sir want to test it.

I think the explanation given by Alain Verleyen is the problem I'm facing. I'm assuming there is no way to overcome this, or is there one. thanks

Nothing is attached.

FxMidaso:

Giving credit where it is due, it was actually Keith Watford who first gave the explanation that datetime variables do not support dates before 1st January, 1970 (and by extension, the history files are limited for the same reason).

So, no matter how old your data is, only data with a valid date (1970-01-01 and beyond) will be accepted by MetaTrader.

Fernando Carreiro:

Giving credit where it is due, it was actually Keith Watford who first gave the explanation that datetime variables do not support dates before 1st January, 1970 (and by extension, the history files are limited for the same reason).

So, no matter how old your data is, only data with a valid date (1970-01-01 and beyond) will be accepted by MetaTrader.

Thanks Fernando Carreiro, Keith Watford and Alain Verleyen.

I have attached the file again.

Files:
SP500.zip  17 kb