Metatrader 4 on a mac. Help! :-)

Hi,

I have spend hours to find out how, but I need your help. I have a mac and want to install Metatrader 4.

It was my original idea to subscribe to signals from the MQ5 website, but people told me a subscription is only possible if you install the Metatrader software on my computer. Only then it's possible to select signals. Is it true that the WEBversion of MT4 does not allow me to select signal providers?

Also people told me that the MAC version of MT4 does not allow me to add subscribers. For this I need to install the original MT4 PC version

Can anyone help me out? I don't have a PC, but I would love to trade with MT4 and select signal providers 

Richard

rvhooij:

Hi,

I have spend hours to find out how, but I need your help. I have a mac and want to install Metatrader 4.

It was my original idea to subscribe to signals from the MQ5 website, but people told me a subscription is only possible if you install the Metatrader software on my computer. Only then it's possible to select signals. Is it true that the WEBversion of MT4 does not allow me to select signal providers?

Also people told me that the MAC version of MT4 does not allow me to add subscribers. For this I need to install the original MT4 PC version

Can anyone help me out? I don't have a PC, but I would love to trade with MT4 and select signal providers 

Richard

Basically all the bad news you heard about OSX is true.  It does not have the functionality of the PC MT4 platform. Even brokers who offer OSX MT4 advise that the "extras" are not available for the platform: subcriptions, signals, EAs, indicators -- all you get is the stock versión.  So far there are no coders working on indicators or EAs for OSX platform.  I use MAC and love it and it interfaces with all the Apple devices, but I had to buy a cheap PC to run MT4.

If you want to subscribe to signals, you're going to need a VPS anyway. So just rent a Windows VPS for ~ $30/month and problem solved :D

What you could do is use VirtualBox (from Oracle). It' works like Parallels Desktop, but it's free!

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads 

I have used Parallels with MT4 on my MacBook Air and found it kind of clunky but that might also be my connections in some countries.  I work in remote locations in the oil and gas business and sometimes the internet connection is poor enough that not all the data comes through.   The VPS is a good idea and I have also used that but you have to have a VPS that will let you have enough bandwidth and storage so you can use all your EAs and Indicators running on Demos and Live accounts otherwise you may not have enough computer power to do what you want.

One other problem is System Tester: on my versión 600 and 800 or whatever it was, System Tester saved huge files of tests run automatically. I don't know about the current versión.  I had many GB to delete when my utilities report these huge files.

I always suggest new traders start small and not begin by incurring a lot of costs for purchased EAs and VPN until you really need it and know what you want.  Even an old PC will run MT4 so you can learn the trading basic skills.