directory problem - tester is not updating files in /experts

hey guys,

any of you had this problem with metatrader strategy tester? it is not updating the /experts directory. in the tester dropdown menu i still see files i have deleted and it inconsistently updates changes in code...? that is, sometimes i make a change in code and it will not be available in tester, while other times it will...

i read this post on the mql4 forum but did not however find a solution: http://forum.mql4.com/60456 

Please provide more details. Do you recompile your expert/indicator after update in source code?

Aleksey Pak:
Please provide more details. Do you recompile your expert/indicator after update in source code?
Yes i compile but only sometimes will the changes take effect in the strategy tester. what i have done to make sure my tests run with the newest version of the EA is to save as another file. i then save as EA1.1. or EA1.2. etc etc... this way of saving as a separate file seems to take place immediatly as I can see the new file listed in the tester drop down menu. however, i can also see old files that I have deleted in the metaeditor. But, to make things more complicated if I go to %appdata%, the root where windows saves the files - then I can still see the deleted files..? seems like there is some type of miscommunication between metaeditor, metatrader and the %appdata% root in windows... would be happy for some feedback on this as I did not have this issue just yesterday.

master_dude:
Yes i compile but only sometimes will the changes take effect in the strategy tester. what i have done to make sure my tests run with the newest version of the EA is to save as another file. i then save as EA1.1. or EA1.2. etc etc... this way of saving as a separate file seems to take place immediatly as I can see the new file listed in the tester drop down menu. however, i can also see old files that I have deleted in the metaeditor. But, to make things more complicated if I go to %appdata%, the root where windows saves the files - then I can still see the deleted files..? seems like there is some type of miscommunication between metaeditor, metatrader and the %appdata% root in windows... would be happy for some feedback on this as I did not have this issue just yesterday.

In the metaeditor check "show all files" option. You delete only a source code but ex4 file still exists. Could you provide a sample of source code for investigation. We can't reproduce your behavior.

Aleksey Pak:

In the metaeditor check "show all files" option. You delete only a source code but ex4 file still exists. Could you provide a sample of source code for investigation. We can't reproduce your behavior.

im not sure if any sample source code should do any help. i have this problem currently on two separate EAs I'm working on. i think the problem can be summed up to: changes made in metaeditor through either compiling, saving or deleting files do not take effect in the %appdata% folder and in the metatrader navigator and metatrader strategy tester drop down menu. however, creating new files does take effect in those locations... i would very happy for a solution as it becomes difficult to save new versions as separate files constantly. I'm having more than 20 different files on the same EA in my expert advisor folder now....

master_dude:
im not sure if any sample source code should do any help. i have this problem currently on two separate EAs I'm working on. i think the problem can be summed up to: changes made in metaeditor through either compiling, saving or deleting files do not take effect in the %appdata% folder and in the metatrader navigator and metatrader strategy tester drop down menu. however, creating new files does take effect in those locations... i would very happy for a solution as it becomes difficult to save new versions as separate files constantly. I'm having more than 20 different files on the same EA in my expert advisor folder now....

Your problem is not reproductible. I can compile any EA and it's available in the Strategy tester. If I delete an ex4 with ME it's no more available.

So you have to provide more information on your issue.